ASRock Wants the Best Mobo Ideas in the World

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cohetedor

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
The main thing I've come to look for is clear area around the cpu socket. My current one the first memory slot is blocked by the cooler and both the 4-pin and cpu fan power connectors are situated between the socket and the back panel. Once the Heat-sink is installed needle nose pliers are required to plug those connectors in as there is less than an inch of space to plug them in.

thrust2night

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Some of the features I would like to see on the motherboard are:

1. Only use USB 3 on the motherboard

2. Only use SATA 6Gb/ps on the motherboard

3. Onboard Hi-def audio chip (supporting Blu ray audio and 7.1 channels)

4. 8 or 16Gb onboard flash that helps to recover/reset the OS in case of a systems failure

5. Redesigned Bios UI to allow for quick and easy overclocking, whcih can also be part of overclocking software - testing should be done on users who are not very technical with overclocking to extract how to make interface more intuitive and easy to use.

6. Get rid of support for things like floppy drive port and the old mouse and keyboard ports (the purple and green ones on the back of the motherboard) - If someone has those devices it's about time they upgraded.

7. Coax port in the back of the motherboard to watch cable tv. A lot of us like to watch cable on our computer and have to buy a usb coax adapter.

8. Simplified connector cable adapter. Asus or EVGA does this for plugging in cables on the motherboard.

9. Better wire management. I shouldn't have to route cables across the motherboard to plug into Usb or audio headers. They should be on one side (removing the floppy drive connector from the motherboard should free up some space.

10. Increasing bandwidth to accommodate the ONLY USB 3 and SATA 6Gb/ps ports since USB 2 and SATA 3 Gb/ps will not be available onboard.

thrust2night

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Almost forgot...

11. Onboard wireless N

12. Use laptop size memory ports on the motherboard. The size of desktop memory is much to large and uses too much space.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Honestly, I would love illuminated PCI(e), sata, and RAM slots. I'm also a big advocate of 2 spaces between main PCIe slots for extra GPU ventilation I would also really like to see some manufacturer provide a sort of locking system that would make component theft difficult. I've heard a lot of horror stories from the college crowd and component theft.

salopar

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
integrated high end gpu (sli or crossfire) micro atx , making hardcore gamer machine on slim tower , maybe improve power consumption for 350w psu.

sprunth

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
An ATX motherboard that doesn't need to have a lot of stuff, but just placed better.
2 PCIE2.0, 1 PCIE, 2 PCI
6-8 SATA ports, preferably some angled outward, away from the PCI slots
Clear Manual--This can decide the buyer's view of the company after they build the computer
Extra software can be nice, if not system-hogging
2 USB 3.0 plugs, although this could be for middle-high end
Good screws
LED lights, at least for the power, if not more
Not a bright/weird color scheme.
RAM slots farther from CPU, creating a border for heatsinks

This is based on 1156 (and I guess 1155) socket boards, but 1366 would be similar. This not-super-demanding board would be attractive to consumers, as the price would not need to be very high.

1ni3shi

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]And how do you know what customers want without feedback form them? I doubt anyone there is telepathic.[/citation]

Maybe I'm mistaken but it seems that this is an open discussion for ideas for new features and not feedback per se about current products.
Maybe all the other MB manufacturers have hired telepathic employees that's why they charge a premium for their products.
Any telepathic positions opened at ASROCK?

a sandwhich

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
10 sata ports with the ability to handle multiple raid setups.

4 pcie x16 2.0 slots that are spaced apart enough to handle four dual slot cards.

A little indicator light next to ech major part of the motherboard(cpu socket, pci slots, ram slots, one for each sata port, and on the power input) to show that it the part is in use and functioning.

6 slots for amd? not happening, oh well.

Rearrange areas to make cable wiring less of a mess, so cables aren't shoved under graphics and around the heatsink.

dauthus

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
All these ridiculous features people are asking for just aren't cost realistic options.

I just want a rock solid and stable mobo made from quality components that OC's very smoothly and has efficient cooling at a respectable price. Make sure quality control has stringent requirements before shipping. I'd rather buy a mobo with a perfect feedback rating on newegg than one with 60% and extreme features.

Also, a decent color scheme wouldn't hurt either.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
For futuristic upgrades, I would love to see a modular back-panel of sorts. Maybe I need 12 USB ports. Maybe I need a couple eSATA. Maybe I have coax-SPDIF speakers, maybe I have optical, if I could swap back and forth on the panel (and not a slot-adapter), that would be nice. Maybe I need all 5 analog-audio ports, maybe I only need 3. Maybe I need to slap on some legacy serial or parallel ports. It would be nice if the back panel were customizable to some extent. For that matter, it would be nice to do the same with PCI/PCIe slots. Obviously the world is moving away from PCI, so this is probably less important.

allenpan

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
for ITX line up:
1) supporting MXM slots, and multiple mini-pic-express slots
2) modulize vertical stackable expension, similar to PC104, which will allows better utilization for different application

for stander motherboard
the market is floaded with motherboard with minium difference, sure those onboard device jack up the price, but in general speaking, no difference
1)instead of pre-defined the pci-lend, use programable, switching pci-lan chip, with all 7 slots are pci-express 16x, let user to config how they want to use the lane
2)modulization, make everyboard a stander board, and all the fansy addon as different purchasable module, those who need more onboard device will buy or request bundle of the modules that he/she need it.
3) open bios code, as many computer/electrical engineers love to improve the bios code and create their own variance (that includes me!)
4) motherboard form factor modulization, may board out there for OEM can be either M-ATX or add expension to become ATX, do the same for retail board
5) provide mod or mroe documentation on the circuit layout for extreme overclocking and sample points.
6) better back tracking protection, i seen too may noob scratch the back of their motherboard when move in or out of the case.

Innovation:
back in the day Asrock introduce upgrade slot for future upgrade on to old board, such as S939 board can use upgrade slot to use AM2, Asrock should bring it back.
1) bring back cross plateform upgrade slot
2) introduce modulization of video card, majority GPU is design around ring bus, so modulize the GPU memory into Sodimm factor and maybe add upgradblility for the GPU itself (like create a socket for it)
3) or maybe just a simple PCI-express card with dual MXM slots?

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Motherboard's are at a point were there it almost everything you need on them these days, too bad almost in not enough in the enthusiast community.

I think that new motherboards should as standard feature at-least two 8x PCI-E slots along with another 3 PCI slot for extra's, I would also like Core Unlockers as a standard for AMD Chipset's.

I would recommend a professional tweaking belt similar to that featured in RoG motherboards and with the possibility of a LCD monitor similar to most LCD fan monitors. It should meet the 5.25" Drive bay specification.

I also recommend the early introduction of the PCI E 3.0 Express slot's and a greater roll-out of USB 3.0.

I think that the most important feature that Asrock could introduce is a layer of plastic or similar material that covers the entire motherboard with thermal properties that do not melt until 120 degree's Celsius this would be a anti spill, anti-static compound that would GREATLY reduce those risks associated with the motherboard.

It would need to feature a removable cutout next to the Processor socket whereby overclockers can remove a part of the compound to avoid freezing it and subsequently damaging components.

It would also have to work like thermal paste in conjunction with fan in that it would have to help keep down total board temperatures.

That's all I can think of for now, The first three submissions were pretty basic, however I think the fourth is the winner.

- Higher quality integrated sound chips.

- More double spaced slots, just like the pictured motherboard.

- No PCI-E x16 lane at the very end of the board, so that using a dual slot graphics card won't block the ports underneath the card. Or otherwise provide 90° connectivity header adapters so that you can plug in the USB etc. headers parallel to the board itself, instead of plugging it from up top.

- Wider spacing between RAM slots and the CPU socket if possible.

- Proper LED debug display, which can accurately display the temperature of the CPU.

- Motherboard battery located somewhere that can be accessed when all expansion slots are occupied.

- Add on-board Start Reset & Clear CMOS buttons, just like most high end motherboards.

- Easily accessible CPU power connection, close to the motherboard 24 pin would be great if the room fits.

- Choice of active or passive northbridge heatsinks for motherboards with hot northbridges. For example, X58 gets very hot, too hot to be effectively cooled through the use of a passive heatsink. Allow a small 40mm fan to be mounted, for example.

- On boards with three PCI-E x16 slots, make sure the configuration is either x16/x16/x0, x16/x8/x8 or x16/x0/x16. For boards with two PCI-E x16 slots, make sure they're at the very least PCI-E 2.0 x4 for the second one. Common on 870 boards, but non existant on P55 boards.

- On the ASRock website, an official list of suitable heatsinks would be great, like a QVL for CPU coolers and such.

Just some ideas.

G

I'd been keen for a dinosaur theme motherboard with a sweet as trex printed on the pcb fighting a triceratops and a mean as roar when you start the pc up.

seriousazn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]dassox[/nom]I think it'd be pretty cool to create a modular motherboard. Like start out with a microATX with one PCI-E slot, and then have the option to add on a 2nd modular piece to make it a full atx that could add another slot or additional USB3/Sata connections if the need arose. Then you could upgrade at a later time saving you money up front, and maybe give a little personalization to the specs that an individual would want.I know its far fetched, but no sense in holding back one's desires.[/citation]
That already exists, i've seen it on 10 year old computers...but most new stuffs don't have this cuz it's unnecessary

brokenticker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Increase the overall length of the mobo so PCI/PCIE slots are still useable with dual or triple video card setups. As of right now with most current configuration, 1x and 4x slots tend to become wasted space when using these video capabilities.

G

Since motherboard's hardware are pretty much well done right now, I would love to see a motherboard with a powerfull bios. The ability to scale the processor according to load state manually is something I fond lacking in todays motherboard. It would save lots of power if well done. Also, maybe a few clocking tool and voltage regulator available through the motherboard manufacturer instead of third party.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Put the pci, or pci-e x1 slot above the topmost graphics slot. That way we hyave room for a add in card even witth some sort of extreme multi gpu setup.

Make motherboard heatsinks screw in with metal backplates to give oversized heatsinks extra support, and also have the metal plates act as some sort of heatsink themself wit a provision to slide a heatpipe into the plate in the back maybe? And give us room to put those huge air cooled heatsinks on our processors and still have oversized ram in the fitst 3 slots.

Some sort of sqirrel cage the sits on the voltage regulator hsf and exits the air where the ps2 ports no longer reside.

No stupid raid chip added in, we already have enough sata connections with the chipset itself.

Maybe put a low power atom / neo on the board near the bottom and have it share the mobo so we have an all in one system that won't make the power meter spin like a top when we aren't needing the extreme power of som tri gpu hex processor setup.oh and a built in port 80. Good night that's so handy on any mobo that has it. Put that on every board you make please!!!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I would like 4 x16 PCI-e slots that are 2 slots apart.
I would not like an IDE slot or a floppy slot.
I would like easy jumpers for Power, Reset, PowerLED, HDDLED.
I would like a sound chip that is not made by Realtek.
I would like a network chip that is not made by Realtek.
I would like my SATA ports not angled up.
I would like to remove the MIDI jumpers.
I would like to remove the CD-in jumpers.
I would like the power connectors to be in close proximity to each other.

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Sorry if i'm repeating someone's idea, there's just too many comments above..

I would really really like to see a motherboard with CPU/RAM/VGA/chipset temperature output to actually link to controllers!! (instead of using a probe, which can never be properly placed in CPU/RAM/VGA/chipset anyway!!)

I don't think there's a motherboard with that...

I would also like to see a motherboard that included a device that constantly measured the PSU's usage and displayed it in a 3,5'' or 5,25'' bay :))

Status
Not open for further replies.