[SOLVED] ASRock x470 Master SLI/AC no POST no video

ch1ck3nch4s3r

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hi guys,

I started a new build with some parts I ordered but I’m having troubles getting the PC to POST or display video. It’s stuck in a reboot loop and the TV’s and monitors I plug in don’t get any video signal. The MOBO is an ASRock – X470 Master SLI/AC and doesn’t have any boot code display to indicate what is happening, and the speaker that was included doesn’t make any beeps. The system seems to power up fine, all the fans and CPU turn on, but the only light on the MOBO is a slowly breathing red light that fades in and out about 11 times before the system loses power and then boots up again on its own. It keeps repeating like this untill I turn off the power supply.

My CPU is a Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz processor and memory is G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 2 x 16 GB DDR4-3200. This is my first AMD build, but I’ve had experience with building and troubleshooting in the past. I went through the common issues and reseated everything, checked the 8 pin CPU power and swapped the CPU fan from CPUFan1 to CPUfan2, tried different DIMM slots for the memory and even tried using just one stick of RAM in the A1, A2, B1 and B2 memory slots, and finally no RAM just to see if the boot loop would change. I double checked the right power connectors are used and even reseated the CPU and cooler.

I don’t have my new video card or SSD yet so I don’t have any storage drives installed and I’m using a verified working GTX 680 since the Mobo has no integrated video support, trying both the HDMI and the DVI connections on the GPU. Since there’s no post beeps or codes I can look up, I’m not sure if the system is rebooting on its own because there are no boot devices or if it’s a hardware related issue.

Looking up similar issues online, a lot of people have said that resetting the CMOS or pulling the CMOS battery overnight solved it for them. I tried resetting the CMOS by unplugging the PSU from the wall and putting an old jumper on the CMOS pins (there was no jumper that I could find on the X470 Mobo) which didn’t change anything. I then took out the CMOS battery and left it overnight for about 6 hours, but that also didn’t work.

Right now I’m at a loss and was hoping someone could maybe find something that I overlooked or did wrong. I’ve included my parts list and some pictures of the build right now if that helps. Any insight is be appreciated and I will update as I go along, thanks!

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/Op9KcDo

Specs: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NMH7Hh

**CPU** | [AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor]

**Motherboard** | [ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard]

**Memory** | [G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory]

**Case** | [Thermaltake - View 31 TG RGB ATX Mid Tower Case]

**Power Supply** | [EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply]

**GPU** (used for testing) ASUS GTX680-2GD5

Solution
Hey guys, I FINALLY found a solution. I was put in some slower DDR4 ram and that was able to get the system to boot after about 20 seconds. After that, I was able to swap in my 2x16gb sticks and it saw them fine, although at a slower speed. Once I get the system running I'll look at clocking them up. Hope this helps!

ch1ck3nch4s3r

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hey guys just an update, I tried a few different things today to rule out some more possibilities. I installed the SSD I order to see if having a bootable device would somehow get the system out of the boot loop, but that didn't change anything.

I then went ahead and tested my known working GTX970 in both the primary and then the secondary PCI slots, but again could not get any video on my monitors and the computer and the computer continues to keep rebooting.

ch1ck3nch4s3r

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hey guys, I FINALLY found a solution. I was put in some slower DDR4 ram and that was able to get the system to boot after about 20 seconds. After that, I was able to swap in my 2x16gb sticks and it saw them fine, although at a slower speed. Once I get the system running I'll look at clocking them up. Hope this helps!

Solution
Dec 27, 2018
Hi ch1ck3nch4s3r, can yo tell me how slow is your slower DDR4 ram? I'm having the exact same issue with my build (same cpu and mobo). I was using Gskill flare x 3200C14 at the beginning. I then saw your post and I tried with 2 gskill DDR4 2400, but I'm still having the boot loop problem.

ch1ck3nch4s3r

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

Mine dropped down to 2133mhz when it finally worked, but I also noticed you REALLY have to press down on the memory for it seat properly on this board, more so than what I'm normally used to. When I was swapping ram during troubleshooting, there were times where I thought that ram was seated when it really wasn't. You should hear two clicks as each side of the DIMM locks into place. Hope this helps!

Dec 27, 2018

I think I got only 1 click every time... That might be the issue. Thank you very much! I'll check it once I get back.