Question ASRock X870 RIPTIDE - Lane Sharing?

Oct 6, 2024
Hey TH; just looking for some solid information regarding the new Asrock x870 Riptide board I ordered, and the possibility of it using PCI-E lane sharing from the GPU slot. The manufacturers website does not indicate any lane sharing from the GPU slot whilst using the NVME slots. Though since I believe this board is using a single Prom 21 chipset VS the "E" variants of the AM5 boards that provide dual Prom 21 chips; I am under the assumption that if I populate all the provided NVME slots, that it will most likely cut my GPU lanes down from x16 to x8. I have noticed there are some board variants on the market that have the single Prom 21 chipset, and will disable the secondary PCI-E slot, rather than limit the full x16 lane usage from the primary PCIE.

Just hoping for some clarification on what this specific board does when handling all 3 NVME slots; or if I will need to run only 2 of 3 NVME slots to maintain my full x16 PCIE lanes.

This build will be utilizing the following hardware
Asrock X870 Riptide Wifi
AM5 R9 7950X3D
RTX 4080 Super
G.Skill Flare X5 6000 16GBx2
MSI Spatium M480 2TB
(2x) Adata SX8200 1TB
ROG Strix 1000w Gold PSU
Misc. Crucial SSD's (storage)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
https://pg.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X870 Riptide WiFi/index.asp#Specification

based on this spec sheet and the manual which has identical info, you would lose the second pcie slot if all 3 m.2 slots are filled. the first pcie slot though stays at it's full pcie 5 x16 specs for your gpu.

if you only use the first 2 m.2 slots, then you still get the second pcie slot to use.

note that only the main m.2_1 slot is gen 5 x 4 and the other 2 slots are gen 4 x 4. so save yourself some cash and don't bother buying gen 5 ssd's for the 2nd and 3rd slot.

Reactions: Mr_Amorphous
Oct 6, 2024
Perfect; I bought a new Gen4 NVME for the build; and I have two older Gen3 NVME's for the other slots since it will be mostly storage, software, and older games. I was only worried about the loss of x16 on the first PCIe slot; and with what you said, I have nothing to worry about with my current configuration. Thank you for the quick reply and clarification.