Question ASrock X99 Extreme4 - adding NVMe SSD

greenfinch

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
Hello.

Is it possible to add this particular NVMe SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB V-NAND M.2 PCIe SSD to my ASrock X99 Extreme4, using an add-in card adapter?
With only my GPU [Geforce GTX 970] in one PCIe slot, what are the fastest speeds that the new SSD is likely to achieve?
Will it negatively affect the performance of the GPU at all?
Is there anything else I need to consider with this upgrade?
Many thanks,

CrVMo :)

Apr 13, 2019
greenfinch, you need to make sure that you actually bought an m.2 NVMe Pcie SSD card. It's confusing because they look just like the same SATA cards. If you use an add in card and connect your m.2, you will be disappointed with 5 gps speeds most likely. On the AsrockX99 Extreme4/3.1 I have, I'm getting crazy speeds (3000+ read/write) using the m.2 slot on the board itself. You should do that on your Extreme4 and move the video card if you have to. Just make sure your m.2 is actually pcie, not sata. I did that by mistake like 3 years ago when it was pretty new and was like wtf for weeks until i figured it out.

Reactions: greenfinch

greenfinch

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
If I use the m.2 slot on the board to add a Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB V-NAND M.2 PCIe SSD:
  1. Will it negatively affect the performance of the GPU at all?
  2. Can I use the new drive to boot Windows from?
Thanks 🙂

greenfinch

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
greenfinch, you need to make sure that you actually bought an m.2 NVMe Pcie SSD card. It's confusing because they look just like the same SATA cards. If you use an add in card and connect your m.2, you will be disappointed with 5 gps speeds most likely. On the AsrockX99 Extreme4/3.1 I have, I'm getting crazy speeds (3000+ read/write) using the m.2 slot on the board itself. You should do that on your Extreme4 and move the video card if you have to. Just make sure your m.2 is actually pcie, not sata. I did that by mistake like 3 years ago when it was pretty new and was like wtf for weeks until i figured it out.

If I use the m.2 slot on the board to add a Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB V-NAND M.2 PCIe SSD:
  1. Will it negatively affect the performance of the GPU at all?
  2. Can I use the new drive to boot Windows from?
Thanks 🙂

TRENDING THREADS