ASRock Z170 Extreme4: Possible to have PCI-E GPU at x16 with PCI-E SSD and wifi adapter at the same time?

Solution
Since you've already investigated the manual and came up empty, it may be best to contact Asrock directly. My assumption is that it will still leave the full 16 lanes available using only one gfx card. But I have nothing to show you that verifies that.

The weak link in my logic however, is that there appear to be a total of 20 lanes available overall. You will be using 5 of them with the x1 wifi card and the x4 SSD... leaving 15. Best to contact Asrock for a definitive answer. When not is use, the other devices may give up their lanes.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Since you've already investigated the manual and came up empty, it may be best to contact Asrock directly. My assumption is that it will still leave the full 16 lanes available using only one gfx card. But I have nothing to show you that verifies that.

The weak link in my logic however, is that there appear to be a total of 20 lanes available overall. You will be using 5 of them with the x1 wifi card and the x4 SSD... leaving 15. Best to contact Asrock for a definitive answer. When not is use, the other devices may give up their lanes.

Solution

Kalrish

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013

Thank you. I have just contacted them. I'll post their answer if I get one.

Kalrish

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013

I described the same setup as here and they explained it would definitely be possible. Apparently, the CPU itself offers 16 lanes and the socket some others (20, the Z170). The lanes are distributed in some way in each motherboard — usually, the 16 CPU lanes go to a PCI-E slot destined to a graphics card and the socket lanes are shared out between additional PCI-E slots, SATA ports and any other expansion options. The M.2 slot in this motherboard shares those 20 socket lanes, no matter if the SSD connected to it uses PCI-E or SATA under the hood. Using the M.2 slot disables two of the SATA ports, though.