Question Asrock Z690 Razer Taichi USB 2.0 Compability Port ?

Nvm

Feb 26, 2023
Hello, this is the first time I am building a PC. I need to connect USB 2.0 from NZXT H7 Elite Case and NZXT Kraken X63 to my motherboard. Apparently, I noticed my motherboard only has one USB 2.0 header that is compatible. Although on the Asrock website, they said they have 2 x USB 2.0 Headers (Support 3 USB 2.0 ports) (Supports ESD Protection), on their book I see this information:
  • USB 2.0 Header (USB_3)
  • USB 2.0 Header (USB_1_2)
My components are only compatible with USB 2.0 Header (USB_1_2), therefore I need another internal USB 2.0 Header. I would like to ask something:
  1. What is the difference between USB 2.0 Header (USB_3) vs USB 2.0 Header (USB_3) vs USB 3.2 Gen 1 Header?
  2. How to solve this issue, should I buy USB 2.0 splitter or can I do the other thing?
Thank you!

1. They are not even remotely the same nor are the compatible, nor do they use even a compatible or similar connector. Completely different, in no way inter-compatible.

There ARE two separate USB 2.0 internal headers and but one of them supports a full USB 2.0 9 pin connector that is capable of supporting two full USB 2.0 ports while the other is a single 4 pin USB 2.0 header located in between the memory slots and the USB 3 9_10 header next to the edge of the motherboard. That USB 2.0 header requires a half type connector. You should still be able to use either type of connector on either of those USB 2.0 headers so long as you line up the correct line of holes with the correct line on the connector that matches the number of pins. On the larger one for example there is a row with five pins and a row with six. If you were to use a half connector on that header that has only four holes you would want to use the row with only four pins. Since these pins are exposed it is not necessary for the WHOLE connector to be entirely keyed the same.

The larger one is actually two separate USB headers and if necessary, unless the device you are wanting to connect to the USB_3 header MUST be a full 9 pin connection, it should still work.

Better might be, if you are uncertain about your options, to simply get an add in USB 2.0 expansion PCIe card and use that. Cases and devices that require USB 2.0 connections are becoming more and more uncommon and it is rare to see one these days on any premium aftermarket product that requires anything less than a standard USB 3.0 connector so finding USB expansion 2.0 cards or boards with many USB 2.0 internal connectivity options is only going to grow harder and harder.

Why, exactly, do you need to connect a USB 2.0 internal header to the CASE? Is this to enable front panel USB 2.0 headers? If so, simply don't use them and just use your internal USB 2.0 header for your AIO cooler. You might have to instead use or get a rear panel USB 2.0 port for anything external you want to connect 2.0 devices to, or simply use on of the other external rear facing USB headers, all of which are backwards compatible and will work fine with any or at least most USB 2.0 external devices such as keyboards, mice and headphones. Or, you can get a cheap USB 2.0 hub and expand one of your rear USB 2.0 ports into several more if need be.

In any case, I don't see it being necessary to connect your case to an internal USB 2.0 header unless there is something you have not mentioned or I am missing. The cooler, obviously an older model, different story but between the two headers you have on that board one of them should work fine for that AIO.

Nvm

Feb 26, 2023
Apparently, the NZXT H7 Elite Case includes NZXT Fan Controller which needs USB 2.0 port. So I guess I need to buy something like NZXT Internal Hub for USB 2.0 in this case.

The expansion cards with internal USB 2.0 9 pin headers are out there, but they are getting extremely hard to find because hardly anything requires it anymore so they aren't still really being manufactured. Hardware that needs them is generally old and has outlived it's usefulness. May simply be time to upgrade to a 3rd party fan controller, different case or different cooler. Seen this a lot lately and that is really the only good advice there is unless you are able to find one somewhere.