Question Asrock Z790 PG-itx memory controller and compatibility ?

MonkCanatella

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
Hi all,

I want to use the Asrock z790 pg-itx board, but I've already purchased this memory. It's hynix a-die rated at 7600mhz. Will it be possible or is the memory controller on the board simply not capable of those speeds?

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
The memory controller doesn't exist on the motherboard, it exists on the processor's die. What was known as the North Bridge during the Core 2 Duo/Quad era of processors was shifted into the processor since the first generation of Core i processors from Intel. AMD soon(quite late actually) followed suite with their Ryzen platform.

What processor are you looking to pair with that motherboard? To add, I wouldn't go to that ram kit, since they state this on their specs page;
Supports DDR5 non-ECC, un-buffered memory up to 6800+(OC)
^ here.
So anything you gain past 6800MHz+ is going to be very rare or non at all, depending on your silicon lottery and how much voltage you're going to pump through the entire platform. If I were you, I'd stick with DDR5-6000MHz.

MonkCanatella

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
I'm pairing with the 13900k. My thinking is that the qvl isn't the end all since it's really just the sticks that they've tested - since as you say the motherboard doesn't house the memory controller, what would cause the ram to be bottlenecked by the motherboard? I'm already using the memory on with the 13900k I plan to use with the asrock mobo on a msi mpg edge z790i. This memory is on the qvl and just hitting xmp on the bios puts it at 7600mhz without issue. I already own the ram and cpu. Though I know it's returnable, I'm in a different country from where I bought them which throws a wrench into it as I'll have to pay shipping and import on some pretty expensive ram.

TRENDING THREADS