Question ASRock Z97 Extreme6 --- equivalent capabilities today ?

highstream

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
I have a six year old ASRock Z97 extreme6 mobo that looks like it will need replacing, meaning I'm going to have to start from scratch with a new build, perhaps with an i5 or better compatible board. I haven't kept up with developments since then, so what might be good choices among boards that are the functional and quality equivalent of the Z97 today? I'm not a gamer. Thanks,

highstream

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Browsing, email, streaming, basic MS Office (Word, Excel), downloading large files, watching videos, listening to music, meetings and such. System that I built in 2016 is:

i7-4790K,
Z97 Extreme6 mobo,
EVGA GTX 950 graphics,
32gb DDR3 memory,
Thermaltake F31 Suppressor case,
6 or 7 HDD/SSD’s,
Seasonic 650w PSU,
TP-LINK router,
Dell 24” 16x10 IPS monitor, connection is Spectrum cable.
No overclocking or gaming.
Win 10 Pro.

As can be seen, it was overbuilt w/o overdoing the expense, the idea being to be able to work efficiently and to last without needing change for as long as possible. Still is my approach. Only considering change now, if necessary, due to as yet undetermined inability to power up (mobo, case, PSU?). Want to be ready to get on with it if it’s the mobo (or maybe the case). Would stick with Intel CPU and for now with the graphics card, monitor and PSU if ok. Would be looking to build around a current generation i5 or i7 and ATX board. Thanks,

Is your performance today(when working ) ok?

Inability to power up is not likely to be caused by the case.
On occasion, the front power connection fails.
You can test by momentarily shorting the motherboard front panel PWR pins.

You start with the processor you want, only then can you start on motherboard selection.

If contemplating a new build, start with the performance of your I7-4790K.
It has 8 processing threads and a passmark rating about 8057. That is when all 8 threads are 100% in use.
The single thread rating is 2470. Single thread performance is probably more important for everyday quickness.
For example a 12th gen I3-12100 also has 8 threads but scores 14540/3550.
For your described use, that should be plenty.
I3/5/7 no longer indicates hyperthreading and core count. It is more of a relative power positioning today.

If you have more than 6 devices, you are probably looking at a Z690 based motherboard like this:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813162039?quicklink=true

That motherboard uses DDR4 ram.
That is good, DDR4 is cheaper than DDR5 and any performance differences are minimal.

Your psu is likely ok as is the case.

One thing I would put in the budget is a larger high resolution monitor.
Keep the old monitor as a side monitor.

highstream

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Thanks for the ideas and explanation. The current failure is described and being worked through on another forum — https://pchelpforum.net/t/lost-usb-2-then-power-to-the-computer.76090/#post-147918. So far we’ve gotten nowhere.

The Dell monitor is 1920 x 1200. Dell has an updated version, but mine still works fine. I’m not a fan of 16x9 monitors, no matter what the resolution. For functionality that I need, including my aging eyes, the extra vertical and font sze is invaluable.

highstream

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Thanks. Nice suggestions. Would go with an ATX version. Didn't mention it, but I have a Megahalems Rev.C by Prolimatech cooler that has gone through two builds that I really like, but I'm not sure if it will work with socket 1700 cpu's.

Thanks. Nice suggestions. Would go with an ATX version. Didn't mention it, but I have a Megahalems Rev.C by Prolimatech cooler that has gone through two builds that I really like, but I'm not sure if it will work with socket 1700 cpu's.
You may be able to buy a lga1700 mounting kit for the cooler.
I have used megahalems before and, it is ineed a very nice cooler.
Lga1700 is only slightly different from lga15xx.
First, the mounting holes are spaced slightly further apart.
Some motherboards will have a dual set of holes.

Next, the 12th gen processors are slightly thinner.
Without some adjustment for this, mounting pressure and contact will leave a less than good result.

Most cooler makers will offer a lga1700 adapter kit, either for free or for a modest charge.

This may be a moot point, the non K intel processors will come with a stock cooler that does an adequate job.

highstream

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Yes, I saw the ATX option on the earlier Amazon link. One thing that made me wonder, though p, was the phrase “Supports… Pentium Celeron processors.” Are the Intel i5 and such still called Pentium? Been awhile, but I thought the Celeron was a lower line and hadn’t noticed reference to Pentium in Intel marketing.

Well, Amazon only lists Pentium and Celeron. What do I make of that, given that it was suggested here for use with an i5?
Amazon does not list specs as well as newegg.
For any motherboard, the web site will list the processors supported as well as the bios level required. Normally on a new build, the biosl level is of no import since new motherboards will come with the most current bios available.

On celeron/pentium,
celeraon will have two cores. Pentium will have 2 cores with hyperthreading, giving you 4 threads.

highstream

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Turns out it was the board. At the local shop tech's suggestion, I've bought the following off Amazon and he's going to do the install. Normally, I would do it, but it saves me time, he's more practiced at it and the work s guaranteed, and there are some things he can, such as getting Windows 10 up and running, with what I have that will save me work.

• ASUS ROG Strix B660-A Gaming D4 LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard
  • i5-12400 cpu
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM (PC4-28800) DDR4 RAM
  • LSI Broadcom SAS 9300-8i 8-port 12Gb/s SATA+SAS PCI-Express 3.0 Low Profile Host Bus Adapter
  • 2-Pack 500x500mm 19.68inch DIY Computer PC Case Mesh Filter Cover with 3M magnetic strip

The Broadcom is because he says current boards don't typically have enough SATA ports to cover my 6 HDDs & SSDs. The mesh cut to size replaces the cover. A nifty idea.

Thanks for the suggestions.