Assign Static IP With MAC Address?

budest

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Hi all,

Client is using a Cisco 887VAM in an office environment. I've setup static IP's on all PC clients as well as printers. One employee has a laptop that needs access to the office printer/scanner when in the office but using DHCP means as his IP changes he loses connectivity to the printer. Setting him up a static IP works whilst in the office but obviously that doesn't help his internet access outside of work.

Was thinking of assigning him an IP to his laptop MAC address and am wondering if of you has any experience of doing this under Cisco?

Thanks

budest

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009

Thanks, I was thinking that.

How can I access the Cisco interface?

budest

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009

Why do you say that? Not every router has the option to do so. Why wouldn't one set a static IP via the workstation?

If your workstation is disconnected from your network (powered off etc) for longer than your DHCP lease time the IP reserved on the host can be reissued to another host, when your workstation rejoins the network you have an IP conflict. I know you can assign from outside the DHCP pool but it's best practice to bind on the router. I can not remember the last time I saw equipment without this feature.

budest

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009

Yes I see your theoretical point. Though that doesn't ring true when each workstation and network printer are all assigned static IPs as therefore they have no need to be issued another but I do take your point.

Have you ever worked on Cisco routers? Any idea how I log on to one to assign static IPs using MAC addresses?

Yes, using the console port! Do you have a rollover cable and the credentials to do so?Download the data sheet!

budest

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009

No and no but the cable is easily got. I would need to ask in the office if the telephony engineers left the details with them if not I will have them chase it up. Just had a glance through the data sheet and I'm not sure it helps me achieve what I need to. What am I missing?

And thanks for your time, it's much appreciated.