G

Well, if it isn't another A7V problem!! You guys seem to help more than customer service at asus! They never email back, or check the netq forums. It's terrible. Well, here's the skinny:

a7v mobo
tbird 800mhz
geforce pro
7200rpm ide maxtor drive(15 gigs)
256 megs pc100 ram
generic 48X cdrom
300w psu
lot's o' case cooling
sblive!
bios 1005a on the board

I've ironed out all the little problems I've had with the board, and it runs like a charm... but maybe twice a week, the computer freezes and tells me it can no longer write to the c drive. Now, I have the maxtor drive running as the primary master and the cdrom as the secondary master. I've tried soooo many different things, and it still happens. New bios revisions, I've posted about 10 million times at the asus netq forum, to no avail. Oh, and one more thing, when it freezes, it can no longer detect the hardrive on a restart, it needs a cold boot and then everything is fine for the next few days. I've tired to reproduce the error, but it seems to be completely random and i'm at a loss of ideas. Let's see what your combined barin power can come up with.

Thanks guys,
Brett

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm might just be the first signs of a failing hard drive. Not so sure this is a mobo problem at all. What appears to be happening is that while after being at idle when asked to fire up, your Maxtor just is not fast enough to react and you are getting errors. This theory is further supported by your boot issues. Have you tried this with another drive? Also in your bios (forgive me on this) there will be a setting for a hard drive pre delay (the terminology is diff in different bios's) Try setting this to 3 seconds, this will give your hard drive time to spin up before the system starts to try to access it. This should help your boot up problem however I dont think it will help your windows problems.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is it an ATA100 drive and is it on the ATA100 controller?
Make sure that your IDE cables are plugged in really well, both to the board and the HD. Also, are you using the blue ATA66/100 cable? If not, do so.

Or your drive could just be going bad. How old is it?

G

Thank you very much. I did some digging, and it turns out this HD i bought this summer is a udma 66 7200 rpm maxtor, and i was using an old crappy cable for it. I cracked out the new shiney blue one, and I haven't had any troubles.... yet. ;)

Thanks again,
Brett