Asus' All-in-One Eee Keyboard PC Finally Ships

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
They are releasing a product that is already obsolete even before it ships!

An Atom N270 ? There has been the N280 (faster FSB, slightly higher clocks, with the same TDP - gets the job done faster = more battery time), and now there is the N450 which is even better for battery life's sake.

I mean, you can't expect to pay that much for outdated technology. They waited so much time to release the thing and didn't take the time to integrate the new Atom platform. Ridiculous. A platform with the new Atom would give probably twice the battery time. And it's stupid from a marketing point of view. "Hey, look at our 2 year old technology inside a keyboard".

Oh, and not to mention Windows XP... really ? Netbooks are shipping with Windows 7, and 2GB of Ram. And what about HDD space ? NO mention of it. Not even Amazon cites how many GB it has, Probably less than a netbook too...

Please, at least do it right. This is a disgrace. And a stupid and strange thing coming from the brand that started the Netbook craze.

G

I'm really excited over this, minus the hardware, it's just extremely practical for those who prefer a full size keyboard.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]I mean, you can't expect to pay that much for outdated technology.[/citation]
That business strategy seems to be working for Apple...

I agree that the price is really high for what is essentially a netbook with a larger keyboard and a smaller screen. Cool idea but I think it costs too much.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]what is essentially a netbook with a larger keyboard and a smaller screen.[/citation]

the touchscreen is not intended to be the primary display, though the thought is very amusing. Typing a document on a full size keyboard while trying to stare at the tiny display, lol.

way overpriced...

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I like ASUS, but this thing has dropped the nukear (misspelled on purpose) bomb. Using outdated netbook tech, XP instead of Win 7, etc. If they made this keyboard with the updated technology it probably would have been much cheaper than $600. As others have said, for $600 I would rather pay for a real laptop or a nice budget gaming desktop than a keyboard computer with a little screen.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Actually, if you removed the touchscreen, I could see these being *really* useful for libraries. A computer in a keyboard form factor? Perfect for areas that don't have much space (well, if you couldn't put this computer in there, you couldn't put a keyboard there either), and don't need much power.

Though yes, definitely overpriced.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Not happy with Asus at the moment.

Releasing a "New" product that was outdated month's before released, the least they could have done was upgrade the hardware during those delay's, give it a newer Atom processor, at least 2GB of RAM and minimum 100GB HDD.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Wow, when I first saw pics ofthese from one of the expos it looked great and even promising for those who want minimum space for a "zen" like office/desk, but for $600, I think this is overprices, I can imaging 450-499MAX would be a good target price and would sell in volumes, but as one poster was saying one could buy a full gaming desktop system for that with a gts250 or even a 5770.

Remember this is still a lowly atom and its just a glorified netbook with a larger keyboard and a smaller LCD! So this doesnt make much sense.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
"...Eee PC Keyboard packs Intel's Atom N270 processor; 1GB of DDR2;Ultra Wide Band built in transmitter and external receiver WLAN 802.11 b/g/n; 10/100/1000 LAN; Bluetooth V2.1; a 5-inch 800x480 LED multi-touch display... and Windows XP Home..."

It even uses an OS which is about to die... What a crap...

LaughALot

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
So I guess what we're all saying is it's a outdated piece of shit, that no one in his right mind would buy even at half the price.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]builderbobftw[/nom]Oh, Ew!600$? You could build a decent athlon/5770/22" rig for that![/citation]

at the same time, you can't stuff such a rig into such a small space, it'd be bloody expensive.
You're comparing apples to oranges, this isn't meant for enthusiast gamers.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]at the same time, you can't stuff such a rig into such a small space, it'd be bloody expensive.You're comparing apples to oranges, this isn't meant for enthusiast gamers.[/citation]

Don't forget the 800x480 touch display too. Performance concerns not withstanding; I'm just wondering why they are going with an EOL OS choice.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I'm not a fan of the iPad but man that $600 price tag from Asus suddenly makes the iPad look relevant. I'm sure 99.9% of the people reading this article already knows you can get a decent laptop for that kind of money which happens to include a 15-17" screen and more power. No wireless HDMI? Best Buy sells a series of Blue laptops that include wireless HDMI... this Asus product is a flop.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]This is what the Commodore 128 should have been.[/citation]
Google Commodore and you'll see a new company has resurrected the name and concept. Unfortunately they want even more money and doesn't include a mini screen on the keyboard. Regardless both the new Commodore and Ausus keyboard computer are overlap products that have less features for more money.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Ha ha... I just went to commodoreusa dot net and as a former Commodore 64 and 128 (amiga) user, this is just laughable. The new Commodore is essentially a half-laptop with the screen and battery removed. And guess what? You get to pay mo' money for it. Sheeesh.

smleth

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Not only does it have wireless HDMI, but it also comes with the TV Receiver. Wireless HDMI external sets start out at $200 and go up.

Dang, My cell phone has the same size touch screen, Less processing power, Less memory, less storage, HDMI via cable only, and no Keyboard and costs the same as this does if you buy it out of contract.

To the moron above talking about "An Atom N270 ?" & "didn't take the time to integrate the new Atom platform" really has no concept of buisness. Could you imagine the comment to the ASUS execs "I think we should scrap our current design because it's no longer state of the are, we should start over and then when the think tank we can loose twice as much money." It's a conceptual design, it amy of may not catch on. If it does then there will be more models, if it doesn't this will be the only one ever seen.

I will probably be buying one for a simple Media Center system.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]smleth[/nom]To the moron above talking about "An Atom N270 ?" & "didn't take the time to integrate the new Atom platform" really has no concept of buisness. Could you imagine the comment to the ASUS execs "I think we should scrap our current design because it's no longer state of the are, we should start over and then when the think tank we can loose twice as much money." It's a conceptual design, it amy of may not catch on. If it does then there will be more models, if it doesn't this will be the only one ever seen.[/citation]
State of the are buisness should start over and when the think tank we can loose twice as much money, it amy of may not catch on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS