News Asus' Anime-Inspired B760 Motherboard and RTX 4070 Feature Hidden Power Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

eichwana

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
What happens when your mobo dies and you can’t get a replacement that’s the same model? Does that mean your graphics card is also useless, since other models/brands don’t have the connector and the card doesn’t have standard power connectors?

Reactions: peachpuff

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
What happens when your mobo dies and you can’t get a replacement that’s the same model? Does that mean your graphics card is also useless, since other models/brands don’t have the connector and the card doesn’t have standard power connectors?
it wont be useless but i bet you would have to resort to pci-e cable riser and some kind of power adapter for the "new" interface. Not ideal thats why this kind of thing should be made a standard, same as every other pc component even the chain-linked pc fans and rgb controllers shoud be standardized.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
If the concept fails to gain traction, it's e-waste and another failed moment in Tech History.

If that power connector is actually so superior and really the best thing going forward, then fine.

Let's see them open source it and then donate it to the PCI-SIG.
The HPCE connector would be better paired with a Open Standard version of MXM form factor that wasn't controlled by nVIDIA

MXM-SIG that controls the MXM specification is a nVIDIA run group.

If we want modular PCIe cards that are "Open Standard" and part of PCI-SIG, we need to make a open version and add in HPCE connectors to it for Mobile.

I would want it to be paired with a standard MoBo form factor based off of Nano-ITX with slightly different screw holes placement.

Nano-ITX's MoBo spec of (12 cm by 12 cm) is perfect for most LapTop specs.

If we can get a common spec for LapTop's, that would be GREAT in avoiding all those proprietary main boards that are out there for each chasis.

It's time for the LapTop industry to start standardizing, having proprietary MoBo formats is horrible for the ever growing E-Waste problem that big vendors cause by using "Proprietary MoBo standards".

If the EU wants to do something about minimizing E-Waste in computing, regulate the big vendors like Dell, HP, Lenovo, into using standardized MoBo formats for their ENTIRE line-up.

Doesn't matter if it's DeskTop or LapTop, force a Standardized format that is similar to what DIY PC assembly has had for decades.

Proprietary should be BANNED and out-lawed.

Last edited:
Reactions: peachpuff

mwm2010

Prominent
May 3, 2023
If the concept fails to gain traction, it's e-waste and another failed moment in Tech History.

The HPCE connector would be better paired with a Open Standard version of MXM form factor that wasn't controlled by nVIDIA

MXM-SIG that controls the MXM specification is a nVIDIA run group.

If we want modular PCIe cards that are "Open Standard" and part of PCI-SIG, we need to make a open version and add in HPCE connectors to it for Mobile.

I would want it to be paired with a standard MoBo form factor based off of Nano-ITX with slightly different screw holes placement.

Nano-ITX's MoBo spec of (12 cm by 12 cm) is perfect for most LapTop specs.

If we can get a common spec for LapTop's, that would be GREAT in avoiding all those proprietary main boards that are out there for each chasis.

It's time for the LapTop industry to start standardizing, having proprietary MoBo formats is horrible for the ever growing E-Waste problem that big vendors cause by using "Proprietary MoBo standards".

If the EU wants to do something about minimizing E-Waste in computing, regulate the big vendors like Dell, HP, Lenovo, into using standardized MoBo formats for their ENTIRE line-up.

Doesn't matter if it's DeskTop or LapTop, force a Standardized format that is similar to what DIY PC assembly has had for decades.

Proprietary should be BANNED and out-lawed.
YES. Finally someone who gets it!

Reactions: Kamen Rider Blade

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020

Maybe by then, and that's quite possible, other vendors are offering the same very good innovation.

It sure beats the jungle of cables and the nasty conflicting connectors.

flagrantvagrant

Prominent
Jul 15, 2022
Another dumb connector :) graphics do coil whine now the motherboard will be a giant inductor... lol
The (any) MOBO is already a giant inductor. Well, technically it's an RCI (resistive-capacitive-inductive) circuit. All electronics are RCI circuits. Looking at it from the power supply's perspective, virtually all electric appliances and electronics are RCI circuits since there's a resistive component and a variable (based on load) power factor value. Inductive components don't _cause_ coil whine, they merely provide a means by which the combination of intra-circuit RCI loops which are pushing a lot of current and generating a lot of harmonics (because, simply put, there's no such thing as a square wave or saw tooth or triangle wave in the strict sense, they are the by products of harmonics [which are all sinusoidal] which are simply decaying multiples of the fundamental frequency). The inductor body (usually formed from ferromagnetic "dust" homogenized with some form of epoxy, to mold and bake the desired shape) act like the magnetic nub in the center of the cone of a speaker, the whine is a product of the ferrite body of the inductor resonating at it's natural (resonant) frequency, or very close to it, because when there's noise on the lines in the low end of the microwave spectrum there's a lot more harmonics arising from the fundamental, and the power throughput is so high, it's virtually unavoidable. All the inductors in all our computers have always resonated to some degree, it's just that the ampacity on a given line was never so high as it is now, what with 500 watt GPUs and 250 watt CPUs, and the voltage level being so low (<1.4V usually) Ohm's Law can't be negated. So a given line might only be 1.1 or so volts at 20, 30, 40 Amps over a short run.

But really, who the hell cares about coil whine, like, seriously? It's only an issue if it starts to warble, indicating an inconsistent power delivery line. With all he fans in the system, how can one even HEAR it over the cooling solution, Or are people sticking their heads inside their builds specifically to catch the coil whine, because I don't get it. Of course. unlike everyone else, my concern is function, not pretty things, so I have no panels on my system and I don't try to precisely control fan speeds. I use Noctua industrial PPC fans, and use very basic fan profiles. So they're already squelching out the noise by their own mean operational dB. Or maybe it's all the fans using PWM (pulse width management) these days to control their speed, and the sheer number of fans you need in a closed case to keep it cool with out having (oh em gee) too much fan noise in the background, because in my system I only use PWM for the radiator fans, and I run all the fans for a given rad off one header. The rest of the fans are set to DC max speed (12V) and don't ramp up and down because they're not very strong or very fast.

Finally, this whole "having to hide my cables" nonsense. Seriously. Are the PC cable management police going to hunt you down and fine you for "poor" cable management? IT'S A COMPUTER, IT'S A MEANS TO AN END, IT IS NOT AN ENDS IN ITSELF - WHO CARES ABOUT THIS CRAP? You buy or build a computer for it's function, whether it's to play video games or do some form of content creation or whatever. All that matters is it's performance and stability, not how pretty in pink it is. All these uselessly complicated builds with RGB and fifteen fans because god forbid you leave the cover off, and all these other gewgaws - are you using the PC, or are you watching it like a fish tank - seriously. I know in today's impolitely "polite" society I'm supposed to shrug and say some limp ism like "to each his own" or "whatever floats your boat". I happen to disagree with such wheedling absentee opines.

And yes, I am well aware everyone has a rectal sphincter. That doesn't invalidate my tightly argued oppositional proposition.

TwoSpoons100

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Its also worth noting the inductance of the power planes in a mobo will be considerably lower than the inductance of the power cables.
Flagrantvagrant you're not the only one who thinks 'bling' on a PC is a waste and a distraction. Viva la beige box!

Reactions: Amdlova

Amdlova

Distinguished
Long time a go I have a supermicro with dual xeon x5675 running with out fans open bench... you can listen the sound of eletrons on the board (sarcasm) today I have a machine with 18db fans running at barely 400rpm. Every single coil whine sound is very audible. If you guys use delta fans good to you. It's easy to put a connector on the motherboard than put on the end of card :]

Status
Not open for further replies.