Asus Announces 7-inch Android Tablet Fonepad; Will Have Phone Functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabZDK

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
I remember people doing this as a joke back when the original iPad was released.

What has happened to the world??

fkr

Splendid
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]IMMEDIATE turn-off. This was in the 2010 Galaxy S..HELLO, WE LIVE IN THE YEAR 2013!At least stick a Mali MP400 in there..[/citation]
wiki says this chip came out in nov 2007. 65nm tech

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]ASUS: why atom ? why ? give me ARM......[/citation]
There is nothing wrong with the newest Atoms. In pre-launch benchmarks, they delivered more than twice the performance per watt most ARM CPUs did so unless you do NDK development, there should be no reason to insist on ARM.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ipwn3r456[/nom]7 inch phone? Damn phones are getting bigger and bigger now... When should we stop?[/citation]

I think there are a few things going on here.

1) This is the year of 7" tablets heading down/settling in the $100-200 price range.
2) By adding the phone functionality, they are staking out a niche, and hoping to hold it.
3) Look at this as an iPad mini competitor. Not a phone with the wrong form factor.
4) I think this is aimed at the teenager/youth tablet market designed to fit any social media needs.

The Atom Z2420 is a single core dual thread chip, not a dual core chip as stated.

Not that I would use this as a phone but....
I look at the specs, look at the price and really wonder why the hell most mid to high end phones are priced so damn high :/

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
With the Samsung Note series and all of these other companies I am reading about producing big phones to satiate the 'bigger is better' crowd, this seriously undercuts their pricing. I mean, Note was 5.8 inches, the Note 2, 6" then the Note 3 is rumored to be 6.3" and all the while, they charge $500-$700 for an unlocked device. And now you get a the next bigger badder 7 incher for just $249

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]The Atom Z2420 is a single core dual thread chip, not a dual core chip as stated.Not that I would use this as a phone but....I look at the specs, look at the price and really wonder why the hell most mid to high end phones are priced so damn high[/citation]Well said, well said. :)

Elaine James

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Must of you are missing the point FonePad as room for a sim card sim cards do more than allow texts and phone calls
I got me a Fonepad on day one release date 26 April 2013 why I want internet where ever I am
With this FonePad. and a cell signal ..... a giffgaff £ 10.0 goodie bag I have Data on the move......
Giffgaff goodie bag £ 10.00. Gives me three hundred minutes unlimited texts and must important 1GB data ....... mobile comuting that is mobile for £ 170.00 compared with no 3g iphone////// pad ..... be warned Asus Fone Pad is not a asus.... nexus 7 do not expect a necus 7 nexus 7 is google good this is Asus...... be warned get one they are good. You need to use a FILE MANAGER NOT APP2SD.......DOES NOT work File Manager does allow use of all 32gb sd card...... do not expect asus to tell you anything.....mine came back from repair some where in Slovacian country ....... no help ...... I had to find the above info for myself........ good tablet no customer service ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS