Asus At IFA: New ROG Hardware Includes Liquid-Cooled ROG Laptop, 4K Curved Monitor, 980Ti GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW!! UNLOCKED MOBILE CPUS for less than $1000!! I WANT! :D

I love all these new laptops and mobos, they look gorgeous. Though, I prefer red over orange.

Liquid cooled laptop; It's about time I saw alienware do one as an experiment but it never got to the open market.

So the liquid cooled laptop looks very interesting. Mainly because they say it has quick release fittings. Does that mean it has an air mode where it automatically down clocks the CPU and GPU for mobility and when docked it overclocks to a beast?

Man Asus is kicking it up a notch. BAM!!!!

ldun

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
... Though, I prefer red over orange...

Then you can look at pretty much any/every other gaming branded anything. I like seeing "new" colours added to gaming laptops, it seems that about 96% are red/black, 2% blue/black, 1.8% white/black .2% other. I'm personally not a fan of red system components, I prefer "new" and "unusal" colours, like yellow or orange or green... variety is the spice of life after all

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
If only they made the Maximus VIII Gene with the same vocab they used on the Extreme, I'd be extremely pleased. I absolutely don't want to build larger than mATX (who really needs all those PCIE slots?), but now that I've seen this I don't want a plain old 1 Gb/s Ethernet port on my next build either. Undoubtedly my Sky Lake build will eventually have an SSD as the bulk storage drive along with the system drive. I'm guessing by this time next year HDD's will be essentially obsolete (who really needs 10 GB of storage?). Gigabit Ethernet is going to start feeling quite slow before long.

Also, I wonder who's going to buy my LG 34UM95-P off me so I can buy that ROG Swift PG348Q instead. Hello, sexy!

paulbatzing

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Since when is a 1440p 21:9 screen 4k? I believe the official nomenclature is WQHD (widescreen QHD), so it definitely belongs in the 1440p category. If not, >60hz 4k would be more of a new thing...

Possibly but do you have a 10Gbps router? Unless you plan to spend a bunch of money of a dedicated 1Gbps switch and firewall (probably $600+) having the 10GB card will be pointless. Sure it will be nice to have it for when 10GB becomes more of a standard but that is a long time coming. They haven't even gotten a 10GB internal NIC yet.

I do agree though that board is sexy.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I don't have a 10G router, but when I built my house I wired it with grounded Cat6a in preparation for problem-free 10Gbps. The routers will come down in price soon enough. I don't need to buy one today. I just need to buy one when all my bulk storage drives are blazing fast SSD's. That will be within a few years, and I will still be using Sky Lake a few years from now. Heck, with 10 Gbps Ethernet that basically opens the door to putting high-speed cache drives on the network, not just bulk storage... That opens the door to some pretty interesting options for the littlest of computers on the network.

It's probably a moot point since it appears the 10 Gbps Ethernet is actually on a PCIE add-in card, but talking about wishes here, I'd wish for a mATX board with integrated 10 Gbps Ethernet so I wouldn't have to think about it later.

TNT27

Distinguished
So, Im looking to buy a decent gaming laptop before next year with better performance than gtx 750ti and old phenom 840. Asus is a favorite of mine, what other options are there? And should i wait towards end of year when better hardware is available (rumurs of a gtx 990m, and new amd mobile gpus)

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014
The water cooled laptop is interesting, but I wonder how it works. I mean, doesn't having to drag around a fairly large radiator kind of defeat the purpose of a laptop?

Lutfij

Titan
Personally I think Asus is going in jumping aboard the crazy band wagon with that watercooled laptop idea. The whole point of a laptop is mobility and if the system is complete with a docking station of sorts then people would be best to settle with a desktop. Aside from that itty bitty detail I think they are kicking butt again :D

Copper color scheme FTW!

TNT27

Distinguished

Well eventually laptops will be the norm for gaming, desktops a rarity to servers and workstations. The only major problem being prices. How long until that happens I have no idea, but it will.

Lutfij

Titan
Well eventually laptops will be the norm for gaming, desktops a rarity to servers and workstations.
No that's the point, when you shift mobility and gaming under the same envelope the need for a docking station just puts the bird back in its cage, so to speak, ;) although the successful concept of the already existing high end gaming laptop segment isn't going to die anytime soon but will be a limiting factor towards performance squeezed from said platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.