Question Asus bios update fail, now system crashes

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I installed the latest bios (2407) on my ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus and now the system just reboots randomly. I would like to go back to bios version 1407, which was nice and stable, but I am not sure how. I have read a few old threads of using a thumb drive, but in bios there doesn't seem to be a way to install it.

Really could use some help...thanks.

Bassplate

Reputable
I installed the latest bios (2407) on my ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus and now the system just reboots randomly. I would like to go back to bios version 1407, which was nice and stable, but I am not sure how. I have read a few old threads of using a thumb drive, but in bios there doesn't seem to be a way to install it.

Really could use some help...thanks.
I think if you Redownload the 1407 Bios version (from the original Asus Website)then you can just make a bootable USB with the 1407 Bios frimware.
I'm not sure how you flash your Bios but use your method you use to instal the 2407 version or use your motherboards manual.
Here is the original link for all your Bios frimware=https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
If your board has flashback feature at the rear panel use a 16gb flash drive format to fat32 and place the bios renamed to shorter name as advised by Asus and it should be at the root of the drive and with system turned off but PSU connected insert the thumb drive in the indicated flashback USB port and press and hold flashback button for 3 seconds and it should flash it, make sure to try to clear cmos before just in case and u can do the same thing with latest bios too.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the replies; surprisingly, no flashback utility that I can find in bios or the the manual....or a specific usb port for that matter.

So, I removed the cmos battery; waited a while (15 min), set up a usb thumb drive the way instructed (including renaming the file). In bios found the location where one can 'update' bios from a memory source......message that my file was 'not a proper bios'

Now stuck...still random reboots

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020
I am having exact same issues. I have ASUS TUF GAMING X570 Pro Wifi,
I built tthe system windows etc. Then i decided to update bios then boom.. Bios loop started. I have tried everything .. I mean everything!! Started with DVD to try bios recover. Nothing happend. System only accepts new bios files. Not reading older versions and says NOT PROPER FILE!! I will never ever buy ASUS again. !!
Tpday i called the support service they said we will call you in 3 hours.. As expected nobody calls.. I cant find Bios crash free utility too. When i try to download from ASUS official site its redirecting to me EKM ASUS bla bla and they dont accept my password or email... I think i ll return it..

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I am having exact same issues. I have ASUS TUF GAMING X570 Pro Wifi,
I built tthe system windows etc. Then i decided to update bios then boom.. Bios loop started. I have tried everything .. I mean everything!! Started with DVD to try bios recover. Nothing happend. System only accepts new bios files. Not reading older versions and says NOT PROPER FILE!! I will never ever buy ASUS again. !!
Tpday i called the support service they said we will call you in 3 hours.. As expected nobody calls.. I cant find Bios crash free utility too. When i try to download from ASUS official site its redirecting to me EKM ASUS bla bla and they dont accept my password or email... I think i ll return it..
I feel your pain; I did manage to get to a tech support person a couple of times. The first was mostly a waste of time, as I had already did everything he suggested. The second had me reload 2407 from a thumb drive, then we decided if the system started rebooting itself, just call and an RMA will be issued so that they could reload the ROM....I would suggest trying to call again. GL

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Usually renaming to short name is meant for flashback feature but to flash it in bios u don't need to rename it and try that one u want without renaming but most bios give some type of error when downgrading and hence flashback feature, the only other possible way is to replace chip itself which has older bios and I may want to setup RMA citing issues and u might get lucky with getting older bios as most of the boards are updated upon packing or repairing unless already out of Asus hands won't have older ones flashed.

hotbbq

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
I had the same reboot issue with 2407. I downgraded back to 2204 and everything is back to normal. FYI, you generally cannot downgrade to a previous major version (1000s vs 2000s). You should be able to go back to 2204, though. Make sure to manually clear the CMOS after updating.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately my specific mb does not have flashback; it is not revertible...I did however, determine the root cause of the reboots; it was enabling DOCP Profile #1. Clearly something in BIOS 2407 causes some setting in Profile #1 to break.

I have spent lots of hours communicating with ASUS on this, including today, where they said they could revert my mb, but I had to send it to them. I cannot be without a pc unfortunately.....kinda pissed

Last edited: