Asus Bows To Compatibility, Adds USB Type-C To External GPU Dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
All this tells me is avoid Asus products. If they can, they're going to lock me in. Rather find someone else to give money to.

Xenocrates

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
All this tells me is avoid Asus products. If they can, they're going to lock me in. Rather find someone else to give money to.

Right. That they are continuing to have it be compatible with their previous offerings, while also making it compatible with anything else on the market is a sign of lock in, not them attempting to avoid screwing any customers.

I must admit, I am a bit of an ASUS fanboy though. I have my motherboard and laptop both from them, and look to them as to where the market will likely go. After all, they pushed M.2, U2., and started the real push for LED lighting. Not to mention that they were some of the first to ship USB 3.1 with motherboards (Admittedly on a PCIE card). So full disclosure: I like what they do and give them plenty of money. But I think this is trying to push the envelope while making it work for the majority of users, not a step towards lock in.

SirKnobsworth

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Thunderbolt 3 can support 40 Gbps in each direction, but you're limited to 32 Gbps because that is the max speed of the PCIe 3.0 x4 interface that connects it to the host.

liljohnny

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
This needs to wrok at least with current ASUS models over Thunderbolt 3. Even if it takes using two cables and stealing some bandwidth elsewhere. A lot of folks just spent a ton of cash on high end ROG G752 machines and wont just toss a new machine. Id buy a desktop before I went there. Adding to that the fact that one can but the Razor that works over thunderbolt 3 and you see why ASUS reconsidered and added the Type C Thunderbolt connection. I would rather the ASUS but if its not compatible whats the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.