News Asus Briefly Shows off RTX 3070 Card in Collaboration with Noctua

Noctua's color scheme is so fugly. They make awesome fans, literally the innovators of modern fan design. But if you own a tempered glass case, these fans are super ugly and don't match anything else in the case.

Reactions: RodroX

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Perhaps cause the Chromax Black looks similar to other solutions?.... or maybe they just love 196X colors palette ?
True, it's a little dull, being much of the same ol', same ol', but still... we've seen more colorful and inspiring styles than this, such as Asus' own gundam style.

Not gangnam style, so please don't go there.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
In fact, Asustek's GeForce RTX 3070 Noctua could be one of the industry's first four-wide graphics cards.

Did everyone forget the stupid-ridiculous Colorful KUDAN 1080? It was effectively 4 slots, with the rear liquid-cooled backplate requiring another slot (if the mobo offset the first PCIe slot).

That being said, I wouldn't mind a return of some triple slot GPUs if it granted better cooling and easily user-replaceable 80mm or 92mm fans (heck, extend the heatsink to 120mm and add user replaceable 120mm fans).

Why on earth is it 4 slots? I'm guessing ASUS was just lazy and it's the exact same as some other Asus graphics card heatsink with 2 default Noctua fans strapped on and they gonna charge a 50% premium. At least engineer the heatsink it so it's 3 slots my god.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They basically took A12x25s and sandwiched them between a heatsink and fan shroud. That's why it's so thick.
Changing nothing else, there's 25mm thick fans in there instead of the usual 5mm.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
So basically what anyone could do with a beefy heatsink and strapping a pair of A12x25 to it. Neat.

For those that already have Noctua beige and brown, just fine, and especially for those without side panel windows.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Why on earth is it 4 slots? I'm guessing ASUS was just lazy and it's the exact same as some other Asus graphics card heatsink with 2 default Noctua fans strapped on and they gonna charge a 50% premium. At least engineer the heatsink it so it's 3 slots my god.

Fully agree this is a lazy attempt and 4 slots is unnecessarily wide. But I'm putting the blame on Noctua, who promised to release a black DH-15 and then took years to actually whip out a can of spray paint. Everything they do takes forever. For them to design a GPU heatsink with their OCD fin spacing and built in fan ducts on the shroud could have taken years, and more than Asus was willing to wait for. I also can't see Noctua selling Asus the fan blades only since their solutions involve a lot of engineering on the fan ducting, and wouldn't perform the same without it.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin
It's really a no BS pure functional approach. I'd like to see the heatsink a bit closely, but seems like they made the shroud so it doesn't block itself, which is great. Notice how there's a proper space/gap between the plastic and the PCB. That's a smart thing to do. Other than that, those two fans will push a lot of air, so the heatsink can be a lesser type, but I'd not like that.

That being said, I don't think they need to make it this basic and they could at least give it soft edges or a proper finish (the shroud). It's a bit too on the "slapped together" side for my taste.

Regards.

Noctua's color scheme is so fugly. They make awesome fans, literally the innovators of modern fan design. But if you own a tempered glass case, these fans are super ugly and don't match anything else in the case.

Notice how that black shroud extends out a bit over the fans? Since the card lies horizontal you would almost never see the fans. I personally will buy one if I can.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I did this sometime back using cheapo fans. Now I cant hear these over my case fans (which are at 1000 RPM at load). The temp stays at 69C with GPU fans spinning at 35%. GPU is Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming OC. I could clearly shave off 4 to 5C by covering the extra fan opening over the GPU with a piece of cardboard.
Total difference:
Before: 69C at 90% fan speed (Stock 3 fans) - Very loud - Over 2X the sound of my 5 X 140MM case fans @ 1000 RPM
After: 69C at 35% fan speed - Cannot hear the sound over my 5 X 140MM case fans @ 1000 RPM
Increasing the fan speed to 70% will shave off another 2C but not worth it IMO. The limitation of the heatsink size comes in. Blowing more air wont help. Need more/larger fins. Thats where you would need something like - raijintek morpheus ii

I am using argus monitor to control the case fans over GPU temperature.

View: https://imgur.com/a/vyweE7y

Last edited: