Asus' Dual Panel Touchscreen PC Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

_horse

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
As far as general consumer usage goes (internet, email, etc) this could just be a long lasting fad, and possibly even a permanent fixture from here on out as an added option to the electronics world.

On the other hand, I really cant see power users, gamers, or workplace professionals taking touch-screen technology in to the mainstream.

I think that the keyboard and mouse approach, no matter what they look like (trackball, ergonomic, small/compact form, etc...) will always be the primary demand for a computer just due to the functionality of both. I can't see engineers or CADD users doing all their work on a touchscreen, or even a voice input computer either.

Keyboard and mouse is just too solid of a design, and too near perfect for functionality.

wonderingwhatis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I think you are looking at this in the wrong way (and possibly asus, depending on how it works). This tech could eventually get rid of the mouse and KB as we know it. This type of device will hopefully bring gesture/manipulation systems to the mainstream consumer.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
People need to stop looking at these devices as a replacement for their laptops or desktops. I'd love to have one of these for the things that makes it useful; reading ebooks, documents and news etc. Also, with a good batterylife it would make a pretty nice short-trip companion.

(Let's not discuss the Nintendo DS emulation possibilites, haha!)

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Physics/Engineering problems, at least in school, require, or at least STRONGLY lean towards needing some kind of touch ability. You cant draw a Free Body Diagram with an eraserhead.

Artists use illustrator with touch technology to speed up their work.

There is a niche, it isn't a huge one, but it is there.

I like touchscreen. It would help me so much to take notes this way...the only reason I still use a conventional laptop is because of touchscreen price.

If touchscreen laptops became the mainstream, I'd be jumping in joy!

jgonz007

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
I like touchscreens as much as the next person, but working in a cad program could prove difficult. I have trouble using a laptop touchpad for a simple solidworks sketch for school. A mouse and keyboard just seem to be a good fit. However I do like the idea of the touchscreen solution to get rid of the keyboard. No more dirt under the keys, stuck keys, damaged keys. I can't give up the mouse though.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I can see touch screens really catching on in some situations. The keyboard will never go away but there are places where a keyboard is inconvenient. Living room PC's where you check your email or set up a Tivo you could get by with touch screen menus. Xbox and Playstations could also easily use touch screens. Kitchen PC's where you are making a grocery list and light web surfing. In an office or home office you will have a traditional computer but certainly a touch screen TV/PC in other settings will be common in the future. Maybe even a Bay Window that becomes the TV and computer once OLCD gets cheaper.

phil0083

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I could see where functionality and productivity could benefit, but I could also see where in a different scenario they could both decline. I agree with what most other users are saying. It may fit well with one thing but not some other things, it just depends on what the pc is used for...

invader_allan

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I think this is perfect, but I'm a new media person which is a different way of using tech than most Toms power users who are grinding a lot of data. No doubt about it, for processing media and editing you are going to be hard pressed to get away from a tower. But touch would be much easier to use for editing and photo work than a mouse. For shooters the KB-M is not going to go away, but the PC gaming world has shrunk dramatically, leaving 95% of users to be shackled to this way of using a computer because it has always been that way. I think this interface would improve many gaming experiences though... touch RTS anybody?

Ever since I saw a multi-touch interface demo for the first time this exact form factor is all I have wanted: unlimited interfaces instead of 2 and only 2, unless you bolt on extra peripherals and maroon yourself on a spaghetti island of wires.

G

They could be usefull for Luddites. My mother never even got (audio) tape decks, so a mouse is way beyond her, but set up a screen with an icon on it and she just might understand it. The biggest market is the non-skilled user (ask apple) and casual users want convienence over power. And a touchscreen would be great for grannies and the technologically inept. You can't make something foolproof, but you can make it fool resistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.