ASUS ENGTX295 Overheating

xiterx

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Hi all

My problem consists in having freezes while playing and its because of overheating but i don't know why its so hot.
Actualy i bought a game today and as hard as im trying to play it i just can't or better saying now i can but i got the fan to 100% but its still overheating too much making a crazy of 90º~98ºC its killing really fast my graphic card and i dont see a way to low this temps.
Don't know if it can be a faulty card but sometimes i get that the driver of graphic card has stopped working and for 2 secs all gets a blackout and gets back to life but it happends only sometimes.
I will show my rig and say what could be making this graphic card to get so hot...

CPU:Core i7 920@default -- Cooled by Noctua 12p
GPU:Asus ENGTX295
RAM:Corsair Dominator 6*1 @1600Mhz
HD:Hitach 160Gb -- Maxtor 320Gb -- Seagate Barracuda 1.5Tb
CASE:Coolermaster Haf 932
PSU:Corsair TX850W
MB:Gigabyte EX58 Extreme

xiterx

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
does some one have other opinion ?

i have dual screen of a 22" and a 19" screens and my iddle temp are 65ºC

My son has a highly oc'd 295 in an Antec 1200 and it doesn't have any issues even w/ all case fans on low setting.

The 295 should hit a max of 71 or so, the 98 is more appropriate for a 4870x2

Use any compressed air of late to clean out dust from GPU and rest of case....no air filters on that 932.

Open the case and observe the fan when the computer is running - is it spinning? Can you feel airflow coming out the back of the card?

Is the heatsink secure on the card? You might have to reattach the heatsink (if this doesn't void the warranty). If all else fails, RMA it

xiterx

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
yeah its working and at 100% it makes really very noise i surelly feel the airflow.
in the part of "Is the heatsink secure on the card?" i taked the graphic card out and verified all and use a screwdriver to make it more stable as you said but it was surely really though and i ended up not making any difference with using the screwdriver

Send it back since I can tell that you are still a bit of a noob with hardware and with a price tag that card still carries just send it in. If you know what you are doing disassemble the card and replace the stock thermal compound with arctic silver 5 after cleaning the cooler or coolers if it is the co-op version. With me such a card would have to be cleaned regularly due to daily use, 12-15 hours usage cycles.