Asus Future-Proofs The WS X299 Sage With Dual 10GbE Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin3000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Definitely specialty workstation as I don't know many end or even power users that would trade 6 USB and a U.2 for 10gbe. Most buildings I've seen don't even have the wiring for it cause they're old and no one wants to pay for upgrades

I can't say anything about the U.2 (Except for how I hardly know anyone who uses it to begin with) but that is what USB hubs are for. Unless you NEED that bandwidth, which honestly most people do not, I don't see any issue with losing those items for the dual 10GB port.

Now only if they could make this in a Mini ITX, and with just 1 10GB port will be fine for my server.

Giroro

Splendid
I guess 10 Gbps Ethernet in a workstation is the kind of thing you already know if you need.
Out here in the "silicon slopes" though, 150 Mbps "business class" internet is so new and exciting that Comcast thinks they need to run TV ads about it.
Or that's what they were doing before June 11th at least. I can't imagine Comcast needs to pretend they need to advertise anymore since they apparently own most the infrastructure in the state.

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015

Hey there,

We are not talking here about "most people". "Most people" do not need a 600 USD MB. We are not talking neither about the NEED: it is already here and these, now enthusiast class, MB are just 10 years late. Most of the people interested in such motherboards were saturating the 1 Gbps 10 years ago, long before 1 Gbps internet at home become common.

Cheers

Jun 19, 2018
Is this the point where I say that ASUS used the exact same controller on the X99-E-WS/10G board several years ago? It's not a new controller.
I'm surprised they didn't have a 10G variation in the first place. So this isn't an update, it's just a new board with the same base design but with a different controller on it. The controller we've already had for a generation.

Best I can tell the X550 is Intel's most recent 10Gbase-T controller. X710 has some more recent cards but the chipset was introduced earlier. Also it looks as though it can hit 5gbE on CAT 5. Not sure how they pulled that one off. Sounds great for someone who wants more speed without replacing their cables.

The NEED was NOT the dual 10Gb ports but loss of the other times like the USB 3.0 ports lol. The NEED for this board is having that dual 10GB ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS