Asus Gives The GTX 1080 A Strix Overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody who just bought the Founder's Edition is probably crapping their pants right now. Controllable LEDs that can even adjust based on temperatures, fan controllable ports, better and probably quieter cooling system, the OC version has way better stock clock rates. All $60 cheaper for the OC edition and $80 cheaper for the normal edition.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Nvidia said that partner boards would sell for as low as $599 while Founders edition cards will be $699.
If you're crapping your pants over that, you weren't paying attention to the announcements.

Founders Edition will be easier to watercool, at least for the time being, and the blower coolers are better suited for SLI.
There's reason to go with Founders, but if you don't fit those two niche categories, than an overclocked partner card will be a better choice.

I did pay attention to the announcements, and I know the afermarket cards are cheaper. This is exactly my point: non-founders cards are cheaper and better. I'm not crapping my pants; people who bought the founder's edition are.

Watercooling? What purpose is there to watercool a 180W card like the 1080? Even overclocked heavily it's only 225W, and as testing has shown. Watercooling is a complete gimmick. People cry for more efficient cards then they want to watercool for reasons that don't make sense to me. The only reason to watercool any Pascal GPU is to make the computer look nice and to tell your friends it is watercooled. The days where watercooling had true benefits are practically over; some CPUs may need watercooling for heavy overclocking, like a 5960X, but our modern day GPUs have no problem with air.

I did pay attention to the announcements, and I know the afermarket cards are cheaper. This is exactly my point: non-founders cards are cheaper and better. I'm not crapping my pants; people who bought the founder's edition are.

Watercooling? What purpose is there to watercool a 180W card like the 1080? Even overclocked heavily it's only 225W, and as testing has shown. Watercooling is a complete gimmick. People cry for more efficient cards then they want to watercool for reasons that don't make sense to me. The only reason to watercool any Pascal GPU is to make the computer look nice and to tell your friends it is watercooled. The days where watercooling had true benefits are practically over; some CPUs may need watercooling for heavy overclocking, like a 5960X, but our modern day GPUs have no problem with air.
Point is the custom cards come with 8+6 pin or even 8+8 pin for higher OC.

8+8 for a 1080 feels excessive to me, but it depends on what overclocks can be achieved I suppose. The Founder's Edition clocked to 2100Mhz became a 225W card opposed to being a 180W card at stock clocks. 150W for 8-pin, 75W for 6-pin, and 75W for PCIe. It's been shown that the 1080 doesn't favor the actual PCIe slot as much as the PCIe adapters, yet still I don't see a scenario where this card would need an 8+8 pin unless we start achieving 2300Mhz about.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Looks good so far. The last couple Strix cards have been a bit disappointing in my opinion. The cooler hasn't been in good contact with the memory chips of the cards and the VRM's (cooled by a small secondary heatsink) aren't the best cooled either. I hope this is fixed as the memory and VRMs should be attached to the heatsink.

I look forward to seeing the reviews!

8+8 for a 1080 feels excessive to me, but it depends on what overclocks can be achieved I suppose. The Founder's Edition clocked to 2100Mhz became a 225W card opposed to being a 180W card at stock clocks. 150W for 8-pin, 75W for 6-pin, and 75W for PCIe. It's been shown that the 1080 doesn't favor the actual PCIe slot as much as the PCIe adapters, yet still I don't see a scenario where this card would need an 8+8 pin unless we start achieving 2300Mhz about.
Think water cooled 2.5Ghz. The 8+6 can do 2.3Ghz on air cooled from leak info.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Just because it has two 8 pins doesn't mean it needs it. If it does, well what do you know, everyone gets the big slap in the face that Pascal isn't a very efficient architecture after all.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
The card is mem-capped anyway. The gains per Mhz go down significantly as you edge above 2Ghz. The HBM2 cards will fair a lot better for OCing.

Just because it has two 8 pins doesn't mean it needs it. If it does, well what do you know, everyone gets the big slap in the face that Pascal isn't a very efficient architecture after all.
Its not about need but want. If wanting an extra 400Mhz is bad I never want to be good.

SpAwNtoHell

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
Hmm oversized again? I understand the oc version not the normal strix... Common who will buy one same clocks as FE when you can get it with the job done ,already oc... Not say who wants a cheaper one as at the price is very unlikely someone could not squize the difference from the pocket... Not 3 dp is a issue here... Maybe less of a issue if 3 hdmi... A issue regardeless as when you want to use 3 monitor setup, especially now that the image should be corected.

I wouldn't say oversized. Depending on how they design it, 3 fans like that could be a quieter and surely cooler approach.

HexxIV

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Everybody who just bought the Founder's Edition is probably crapping their pants right now. Controllable LEDs that can even adjust based on temperatures, fan controllable ports, better and probably quieter cooling system, the OC version has way better stock clock rates. All $60 cheaper for the OC edition and $80 cheaper for the normal edition.

Naw, happy I got the founders' edition. I should have it in my hands in a day or so and I plan to get the new Titan card x2 when they come out so this is just a placeholder 1080 anyway.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Don't expect to see HBM2 GTX 1080s at all. The current Pascal chips are not designed for HBM. We might see that happen next year, but for now, this is what we have. There will be plenty of room for improvement over the next six months as these cards mature and custom PCB cards arrive.

Also, GDDR5X is just getting started. Micron expects this memory will ramp up to 14000, maybe even 16000 MHz over its lifetime.

Well, you just have a lot of money to spare. :)

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I very much disagree with this assessment. There's a reason that GPUs have started coming with closed loop coolers pre-attached. There's also a reason these modern coolers a gigantic, usually with three large fans. Modern GPU's put off significant amounts of heat, and from what I've seen (haven't played wiht a 1080 in person yet) it appears as though the smaller die size (ie: less contact surface with the heatsink) is causing these Pascal GPUs to run rather hot. Water cooling dramatically reduces the overall temperature of your GPU at both idle and load. You may not be able to achieve significantly higher clock speeds with water than you would with air, but you will get to the same or better speeds at much lower temperatures, which in turn results in longer GPU life. Electronics tend to operate better, and for longer periods, when they run at lower temperatures.

The card is mem-capped anyway. The gains per Mhz go down significantly as you edge above 2Ghz. The HBM2 cards will fair a lot better for OCing.
mem-capped as you call it is more about how game developers use the memory bandwidth. A bad developer could mem-cap the card at stock with a lot of bad fetches.

But watercooling usually negatively affects the VRMs in terms of heat. The chip itself stays cooler, but all the other stuff on the card gets hotter, depending on how the block is. Some blocks may do very well, but a lot of them leave out some important components to cool; I'd reckon VRMs fail long before the actual graphics processing unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.