Asus GTX 470 Issue - slow boot/performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I just purchased an Asus GTX 470 board with which I had having a very strange issue. I honestly didn't think before this happened that a video card could cause this type of issue. But anyway, Asus techs have been unable to help me, and as a result want me to RMA the board... which I now have. But i still figured I would come here and see if anyone has ever seen anything like it before.

The issue is that when I install the gfx card, it causes my computer to run ridiculously slow. I'm talking 10-15 minutes to get past the Windows 7 logo at startup, and when it does eventually get to the login screen and subsequently the desktop, it takes incredible system resources to do anything whatsoever, causes choppy mouse movements and *extreme* slowdown. When I take the 470 out and put my GTX 275 back in, the problems go away. I did a full wipe of the hard drive after Asus techs thought it might be a software conflict, as did I, to no avail.

The reasons I originally didn't believe it was a failed board: I had access to Windows XP 32-bit installed on a separate hard drive, though wiping the Windows 7 hard drive destroyed my access to this install. The card worked fine (caused no slowdown) on XP, and I thought it worked fine, but then I installed and played the Starcraft 2 beta. At first I believed the game was rendering perfectly, but as the game went along I started to experience slowdown and general choppyness, as well as very few effects in the game (such as explosions). I attributed this to DX9, but I have fixed my access to XP and played it with my GTX 275 and it seems to look/play about the same as it did in W7.

Which brings me to this post. I have never experienced this type of issue before. I have been doing research online trying to find anyone that has, and have not. The fact that the card works in Windows XP 32-bit made me originally think it was fine and might just be a software issue, but after seeing its performance in Starcraft 2, I really do think it's a defective card and the RMA was justified. However, given that Asus uses XP (I was told this by their techs) I am wary that Asus might determine there is nothing wrong with it, and send it back to me with some explanation bascially telling me that I'm nuts. I wanted some input from other people out there. Basically, has anyone seen anything like this before?

Below is a list of system specs and attempted solutions. If there is some piece of info I've left out, let me know. Also, if anyone knows of anyone with a Foxconn Renaissance mobo that has happened to install one of the new Fermi boards without issue, that would help me rule out a mobo issue (which is my second idea for the cause of the issue behind the card actually being defective).

Specs:
Windows 7 Pro x64 installed on a WD3200AAJS (320GB WD SATA 3.0)
Windows XP installed on a partition of an old 80GB Maxtor from a Dell
Ubuntu installed on partition of a WD6400AAKS (640GB WD SATA 3.0)
Foxconn Renaissance Mobo
Intel core i7-920
6GB (3x2GB) OCZ triple channel memory kit (OCZ3X1333LV6GK)
Asus Xonar DX sound card
LG SATA DVD burner
an Asus GTX 470 & an EVGA GTX 275 896MB
OCZ 700W PSU

Attempted solutions:
*Re-isntalled GTX 275 -> no problems
*Booted to Windows XP -> experienced slowdown, choppyness and a lack of in-game effects
*Wiped Windows 7 and clean install -> installed slowly; when install was complete and all software was stock W7 (no drivers, etc) problem still exists
*Booted to safe mode, went to device manager and uninstalled video driver for the GTX 470 -> no change
*Un-OC'd CPU and memory -> no change
*Uninstalled/reinstalled drivers -> no change
*Mobo BIOS is updated -> no change
*Drivers on all hardware requiring drivers are updated -> no change

vandrew82

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I just purchased a PNY GTX 470 and I'm having the same problem from what I've read so far. I bought an ATI 5770 yesterday but wasn't happy with it at all, so I went back and got the 470. I removed all of the ATI drivers and software and Installed the new card and latest drivers and now I'm waiting for windows to load arghhh.

Intel i5 750
EVGA P55 Micro ATX
4GB Corsair XMS 3 DDR3
Corsair HX 750
PNY GTX 470
Win7 Home Premium 64

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Question: are you using AVG?

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

It fixed the boot issue so now it boots what would be normally, I believe, but there is still a severe decrease in system performance. I'm still looking for what could be causing that. Deleting AVG might work for you.

vandrew82

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

Well I looked at my rig when I got home and I had already uninstalled AVG so thats not my problem. I was hoping it was a bad card so I took the card back and the guy behind the counter let me exchange the PNY for EVGA and now I'm typng this meesage in SAFE MODE yay! SO I think I have ruled out a bad card and maybe a specific brand (but the only diff in brand is the warranty a cooler) so I figured that wasn't a problem but I liked EVGA's warranty so I decided to go ahead and switch. I'm gonna try some different drivers and I'll post back.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Corrupted OS? Try a quick bare OS (minimum drivers) installation on a spare HD and see if you get any problems there.

vandrew82

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

I'm almost certain its not the OS. I can put a different card in and I have no problems and UNALIGNED has already tried a fresh install and that did not fix his problem. I am convinced it's a driver issue. When I first install the 470 (no drivers) my PC boots and gets to the desktop no problem but as soon as I install the drivers and reboot my computer will not even make it to the desktop it just sets there and thinks.

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

If you sit there and let it think for as long as it wants, does it ever get to the login screen/desktop?

vandrew82

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

MY rig will get to the login screen pretty quick but after I log in and the "welcome" banner appears it just sets there and thinks. I have yet to give it enough time to get to the desktop but I have waited at least 20 min then I restart usally into safe mode.

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Interesting... what I'm currently in the middle of is updating BIOS and chipset drivers. Have you made sure all of that is done on yours?

vandrew82

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

No I haven't had a chance to update chipset or bios. My board is pretty new so I don't even know if there is an update for the BIOS. I hope it works for you tho :)

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Don't worry, it didn't :(

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

You're lucky that you have that option... I bought mine from Newegg, they don't do refunds on GFX cards.

vandrew82

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

Just talked to EVGA they told me update my BIOS and Chipset Drivers and to check my voltages in BIOS. Have done all that?

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Which voltages? I don't think I can change my PCI-E voltages on my mobo... its OC abilities are not that great. Everything else is stock.

Keep trying fixes, however if you do decide you want to return for a refund, send an email to Newegg explaining what happened. This was something impossible to predict (and still pretty odd) so it is not impossible that they'd make an exception to the rules for you.

vandrew82

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

I just took a peek at my BIOS and I didn't see a selection for PCI-E voltage but I just wanted to make sure that I was getting 12v to my mobo. All the voltages look perfect to me on my MOBO so I don't think that's the problem.

Are you still in contat with ASUS? I'm not gonna let the tech guys at EVGA rest until this card is working like the beast it should be. I have a brand new EVGA MOBO, new Corsair Memory, new Corsair PSU Proffesional series, New Intel i5-750 and a new case. This is the nicest system I've ever built so I bought a sweet ass GPU to make my system very solid, but instead I get safe mode. FML

I hope I can help get this fixed sometime soon, keep the faith my 470 breahtren

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

I think I've tried everything out there to try except replacing my mobo, and something tells me thats not the problem (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/1a843eac-a768-4fe3-97cd-a84de95f831d?prof=required&ppud=4). I think it's some conflicting service/process/application on my computer but I can't find out what it is.

The slow boot was solved by getting rid of AVG (which itself is VERY strange considering before I RMA'd the card, I performed a clean install and the problem still existed after), but my performance is still severely impacted by something.

I have talked to Asus many times. I wish I could contact Foxconn by phone, but their tech support is lacking (a better word would be useless). This whole thing has made me very dearly want to replace my mobo, even if it isn't the problem. But I digress. Asus has been completely and utterly unable to help me, and the only progress I've made is by the help of the guy on the above-linked thread.

vandrew82

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

I finally got a chance to update my bios, re installed the drivers and rebooted and now it's running perfect. I have yet to put any kind of load on the card yet to see how it performs, but windows if functioning normally so updating the BIOS was the solution for me. I hope you can get your problme fixed soon. I'll gladly help in whatever way I can. Good Luck !!

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

I'm glad you got yours working but it's not gonna solve mine... My BIOS is updated and I have the latest chipset drivers. And it happens regardless of whether the gfx card drivers installed or not (tried uninstall/reinstalling them many times).

I just re-performed a clean install on a different hard drive to rule out that my HD is failing and the same thing occurs. I'm so hopelessly clueless.

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Alright, to anyone that is having a similar problem, try using only 1 RAM stick. I took out two of my sticks and the problem has solved itself, it seems. Now my only issue is trying to find out how to get it to work with my other 2 RAM sticks (hint, hint Foxconn; get off your ass and do some programming to fix the Renaissance BIOS).

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Congratulations to you!

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Good finding unaligned!