Asus GTX 470 Issue - slow boot/performance

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I just purchased an Asus GTX 470 board with which I had having a very strange issue. I honestly didn't think before this happened that a video card could cause this type of issue. But anyway, Asus techs have been unable to help me, and as a result want me to RMA the board... which I now have. But i still figured I would come here and see if anyone has ever seen anything like it before.

The issue is that when I install the gfx card, it causes my computer to run ridiculously slow. I'm talking 10-15 minutes to get past the Windows 7 logo at startup, and when it does eventually get to the login screen and subsequently the desktop, it takes incredible system resources to do anything whatsoever, causes choppy mouse movements and *extreme* slowdown. When I take the 470 out and put my GTX 275 back in, the problems go away. I did a full wipe of the hard drive after Asus techs thought it might be a software conflict, as did I, to no avail.

The reasons I originally didn't believe it was a failed board: I had access to Windows XP 32-bit installed on a separate hard drive, though wiping the Windows 7 hard drive destroyed my access to this install. The card worked fine (caused no slowdown) on XP, and I thought it worked fine, but then I installed and played the Starcraft 2 beta. At first I believed the game was rendering perfectly, but as the game went along I started to experience slowdown and general choppyness, as well as very few effects in the game (such as explosions). I attributed this to DX9, but I have fixed my access to XP and played it with my GTX 275 and it seems to look/play about the same as it did in W7.

Which brings me to this post. I have never experienced this type of issue before. I have been doing research online trying to find anyone that has, and have not. The fact that the card works in Windows XP 32-bit made me originally think it was fine and might just be a software issue, but after seeing its performance in Starcraft 2, I really do think it's a defective card and the RMA was justified. However, given that Asus uses XP (I was told this by their techs) I am wary that Asus might determine there is nothing wrong with it, and send it back to me with some explanation bascially telling me that I'm nuts. I wanted some input from other people out there. Basically, has anyone seen anything like this before?

Below is a list of system specs and attempted solutions. If there is some piece of info I've left out, let me know. Also, if anyone knows of anyone with a Foxconn Renaissance mobo that has happened to install one of the new Fermi boards without issue, that would help me rule out a mobo issue (which is my second idea for the cause of the issue behind the card actually being defective).

Specs:
Windows 7 Pro x64 installed on a WD3200AAJS (320GB WD SATA 3.0)
Windows XP installed on a partition of an old 80GB Maxtor from a Dell
Ubuntu installed on partition of a WD6400AAKS (640GB WD SATA 3.0)
Foxconn Renaissance Mobo
Intel core i7-920
6GB (3x2GB) OCZ triple channel memory kit (OCZ3X1333LV6GK)
Asus Xonar DX sound card
LG SATA DVD burner
an Asus GTX 470 & an EVGA GTX 275 896MB
OCZ 700W PSU

Attempted solutions:
*Re-isntalled GTX 275 -> no problems
*Booted to Windows XP -> experienced slowdown, choppyness and a lack of in-game effects
*Wiped Windows 7 and clean install -> installed slowly; when install was complete and all software was stock W7 (no drivers, etc) problem still exists
*Booted to safe mode, went to device manager and uninstalled video driver for the GTX 470 -> no change
*Un-OC'd CPU and memory -> no change
*Uninstalled/reinstalled drivers -> no change
*Mobo BIOS is updated -> no change
*Drivers on all hardware requiring drivers are updated -> no change

pcman66441

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
You are def not alone here, I bought a new 470 GTX put in my current system which was running dual 9800Gt Sli. Whoops, what the heck, took forever to get into windows, then looked like a 386 running windows 95. After fiddling with the usual suspects I thought I'd try something else, slapped in machine next to mine, and boom worked perfect... hmmm bought myself an Asus Rampage II and voila no more system slowdown, board works full speed. New but not unheard of problem after 700 dollars spent, hey alright I get to play for about five minutes and bang... dead machine... Thank you EVGA! Yes this thing runs so freaking hot that it artifacts pretty quick in Call of Duty then locking up your machine in no time. So after finally installing their "precision" software I discover fan controlling, ummm seriously I have to crank it to 80 percent speed capable to be able to play? That is really really stupid and annoying, so I will probably be yet another dissatisfied EVGA customer of a 470 FURNACE not FERMI and likely switch back to my 9800s or go back to my ATI 4870. I am really disappointed in this card.

The reason you are having issues is simple, you didnt do you research prior to purchasing your Fermi. I just built a new PC for a customer with an Asus GTX 470 and its running perfectly fine, as far as the heat goes well you need to take into consideration that the best way to keep the temps at a tolerable level is by installing Afterburner and creating your own fan "curve" which is actually the same as "auto" but you get to choose how fast it will spool up depending on the GPU temp. I overvolted the card and ran various games at the highest settings and it didnt even flinch. Temps were in the 80c arena running furmark but then again my room temp was almost at 80F so the heat throughput is not that bad unless your room temps are out of control.

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

I really wish there had been a solution to this before I sent my Fermi back to Newegg. Hope it helps the next guy though.

riqmarmes

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
I've got the exacte same problem as you do now unaligned .... I first had the AVG boot problem, and now the Ram .... like you do. With one card it works perfectly and on windows xp too.
Specs :
3x2Gb CORSAIR DOMINATOR
Core i7 920
XFX x58i
ASUS ENGTX 470 ...
700W EPSILON

i hate it ,...

Really need a solution.

riqmarmes

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Can it be my PSU ? that isn't enough .. I have 2 HDD, one is 1Tb and the other one is 80Gb. I also have one D-Link wireless thing. But all of that together did work on Windows XP without a single problem. Sorry for posting 3 messages in a row. "I am not allowed to edit the message" :p

Gamer_82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

@ unaligned : I was having the similar problem and then I did the same as you said, I kept only one RAM stick of 2GB DDR2 instead of two RAM sticks of 2X2GB DDR2 in my CPU and after this all performance related issues appeared post GTX 470 installation got vanished at all and now I am enjoying games with GTX 470 but my other RAM stick is lying idle. Have you found the way to use all RAM sticks together without any performance related issues?

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Read the following thread through thoroughly and understand it:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=15472

and then follow its instructions. You will definitely want to figure out your exact memory address (this concept is explained in the thread) because you have a different amount of ram than the OP of that thread and I did/do. If you have any questions, direct them toward that thread where vladh4x0r or others will be able to help you.

ryandward

Honorable
Jun 6, 2014

Have you found a way to get it working with all your memory? Truncating memory doesn't sound like a permanent solution to me. I literally have exactly the same problems you've described here.

I've contacted Foxconn about the Renaissance BIOS files, and heard nothing back.

Have you replaced your mobo?

PS: Here's my build

Here's my build:
CPU: i7 950 @ 3.06GHz, codename Bloomfield
Motherboard: Foxconn Renaissance
RAM: OCZ Platinum (3 x 2GB @1600MHz 7-7-7-24 @1.65V)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX760 2GB GDDR5 256bit
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 850W, Modular
Case: Antec DF-85 Black Steel/Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Display: Samsung HG40NA570 - 40" LED Smart TV - 1080p

unaligned

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Wow... talk about dredging up an old thread ;). I think it's permanent enough... you would only have to do it when you reformat your Windows partition (which hopefully isn't every day).

As for another solution, I never found one. That's up to Foxconn. And I think it's fairly safe to say that if they didn't do it when this board was new, they are never going to fix it. I don't have this hardware setup (or any desktop PC at all anymore), so unless anyone else has ideas I think you'll have to truncate your memory. It's really not that bad though.

ryandward

Honorable
Jun 6, 2014

Hey man. I know it's not 100% relevant to your problems, I am just going to post an answer here in case someone searches for it later. Foxconn actually HAS a BIOS that works, you just gotta get into contact with their customer service, preferably one who speaks English, and ask for BIOS version: 853F1S03.

I have NO idea why they don't put it on their site.

Hope that helps someone in the future.