Asus H97 plus setup?

BigBadBeef

Admirable
I am having difficulty setting up the BIOS in my new mobo.
I am trying to enable all the features such as dual channel memory and such but leave the overclocking options alone but unfortunately I can't make heads or tails in the menu since the two are mixed so I don't know where the standard features end and the overclock begins.

My Configuration:
Asus H97 PLUS,
Intel Xeon E3-1241v3,
Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Dual-X OC,
Cruicial memory 16GB 1600MHz,
WD black edition 2TB.

My experience is in Gigabyte motherboards, its my first time with asus. I just slammed the deafults button, but I'm not sure that is supposed to work as it should. Basically what I'm looking for is the first time setup.

Solution
Doesn't matter.
I've used both MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision with my Gigabyte GTX 760, EVGA Precision currently.

EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner are both based off the same software, they just have a different UI.

If you are concerned about the program overclocking your GPU, MSI Afterburner doesn't change clock settings automatically.

It lets you change settings yourself, so you can just leave the card as it is, and just use the FPS counter part of it.

bradsctt

Distinguished
Dual channel will only work if you have ram cards in both channels, eg 3 or 4 cards. It will enable by itself if both channels are populated.

Leave the bios settings as default, it will work fine, or otherwise have a thorough read of the manual, it will tell you a lot.

Try Fraps for showing in game FPS counters
http://www.fraps.com/

bradsctt

Distinguished
Doesn't matter.
I've used both MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision with my Gigabyte GTX 760, EVGA Precision currently.

EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner are both based off the same software, they just have a different UI.

If you are concerned about the program overclocking your GPU, MSI Afterburner doesn't change clock settings automatically.

It lets you change settings yourself, so you can just leave the card as it is, and just use the FPS counter part of it.

Solution

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Yeah you can use Afterburner. However I tried it and found I could not find the monitor to switch on fps monitoring. Someone on Tom's replied to me and said they think it has been removed in the latest version. Therefor try to download a previous version.

Also there is Nvidia GeForce Experience. However that I found tricky to find the fps counter on. It is there though.

RE: BIOS and RAM settings.

Leave it on default. The overclocking RAM control could not be easier so don't get baffled by it. The 'Auto' setting is there though so leave it on that, as it auto-detects your RAM. (You can use F5 to reset the BIOS to all default if you think you have changed something accidentally.)

Dual channel will also be the default BIOS setting. You can verify how you RAM is running, regarding channel arrangement easily. Use CPU-Z. Check the Memory tab. Look at Channel # and next to that, it will say dual or single. The H97 PLUS is a Dual Channel Memory Architecture board so it won't say anything else.