ASUS HD 7970 Crossfire, time to upgrade

M1keyC

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Hi all, I am currently running 2 ASUS HD7970 cards in crossfire, I have been considering upgrading to a 4K monitor for gaming. I am canvassing for opinion, will my crossfire setup give me a decent 4K gaming experience, or is it time to upgrade?

If its upgrade time, is there a good way of comparing performance of available GPU's with each other including the performance you get from SLI and Crossfire setups?

Solution
I would wait for the next generation of cards for 4k honestly.

Even dual 980 ti in SLI can struggle playing the latest games at 4k.

Alternatively if you are running 1080, an upgrade to 1440p might be a better option.
Yea the new gpu's are hitting the shelves this year from amd and nvidia most of which will be in the next few month most likely. I'd wait closer to maybe like September before uograding and no your current xfire setup would still struggle at 4k unless you ran on low settings. 4k being mainstrean will hopefully be something this next generation of gpu's can do. Really nothing out can run 4k in ultra right now and have a good solid 60fps at all times. The 980ti's are a beast of a card but as said they struggle too. 1440p gsync monitor would honestly be a better buy than 4k. That asus 1440p gsync monitor is pretty nice and 1440p looks pretty dang good. Look into it. Then yu could even jeep your current gpu's.

I agree with Rob.

Dual 7970s in crossfire perform similarly to a single 980 or R9 390x

Would be best to wait a bit for 4k. As with anything new, prices are horrendous for the first few years and performance of supporting hardware cannot keep up. Give it a year or so and things will be much better balanced price/performance wise.

Onefurrybanana

Reputable
May 13, 2015
I use 2 titan x's (only slightly better than a 980ti) in sli and i get constant frames above 60 at 4k. I recently played BF4 max settings and i was averaging 70fps. I don't believe we will see gaming cards until 2017 for pascal. Considering we haven't even see a working pascal card yet and they only displayed a workstation card.