Asus Hero Motherboard A2 error code

Slogane

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
I just got my last part for my PC and built it.. And it is now showing on the MB that there is a A2 code error, i looked it up in the manuel where it says it means IDE Detect... I just dont know what that means and what i am supposed to do.

(For "google is your friend" answears.. Tried it, didten find what i needed, to my understanding)

Plz help me with what it means and what i am supposed to do in easy steps, dont go all pro on me :p

(Also sorry if it is in the wrong thread)

Solution
Did you have multiple drives hooked up when you booted? Try disconnecting them and fire it up again. It should take you to BIOS. If it does, hit the exit button and save with the default settings, then shut it down and hook up just the drive you plan on installing your OS on and your optical. When you start it up again, it should take you to the OS install menu.

Make sure while you're in your BIOS to set your boot priority to optical drive first. If you're doing a USB install, set the USB first and make sure the USB drive is plugged into a USB 2.0 port, not a USB 3.0. (Black USB port, not blue.)

Edit: A2, IDE Detect, error code means it's having trouble detecting or reading connected drives. This often occurs during initial...
Did you have multiple drives hooked up when you booted? Try disconnecting them and fire it up again. It should take you to BIOS. If it does, hit the exit button and save with the default settings, then shut it down and hook up just the drive you plan on installing your OS on and your optical. When you start it up again, it should take you to the OS install menu.

Make sure while you're in your BIOS to set your boot priority to optical drive first. If you're doing a USB install, set the USB first and make sure the USB drive is plugged into a USB 2.0 port, not a USB 3.0. (Black USB port, not blue.)

Edit: A2, IDE Detect, error code means it's having trouble detecting or reading connected drives. This often occurs during initial boot of a new build if multiple drives are hooked up before an OS is installed.

Solution

eamonned

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
I encountered this A2 error code issue with an Asus Deluxe WiFi board and the sync/charge cable for a Polar Loop wrist band (the cable had been plugged in while pc was shutdown)

Removing it and rebooting worked.

Posting for the sake of posterity.

Sexypox

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
I have the same A2 error. The only difference is that, I have had my pc since June and had my OS set up and all my programs installed.....have been using PC since then. AS of yesterday I started getting the error.

PC Specs:
DEEPCOOL GENOME II case
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero motherboard
Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K
G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
PNY NVIDIA Quadro P1000 Professional Graphics Board
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular
2# Dell Professional P2717H

Running windows 10 pro