Question Asus laptop not detecting DDR3 SODIMM

xxITERUxx

Prominent
May 20, 2021
Recently got an old ASUS X455L laptop to use for school. Wanted to upgrade the RAM so I bought a Crucial 8GB DDR3 SODIMM. This is on top of the built in 4 GB RAM of the laptop. Put it in, fired up the laptop, but the new RAM isn't showing up. Already cleaned the slot via canned air but still no go. Problem is, can't test the RAM card since I don't have another laptop to test it with. Any other tests I can try to figure out if the issue is the slot or the card?

xxITERUxx

Prominent
May 20, 2021
What are the RAM specs?

In this video they also used a stick of 8GB Crucial RAM, does yours have the same specs?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qf9fPyG30M
Almost. Mine's a DDR3 1.5V. I was told DDR3 cards still work on DDR3L slots, and the DDR3 is the one on sale ( I'm on a budget).

I just ran memtest and the card's there. But when I checked again in Windows, still only getting the built in 4GB.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Thank you both. Guess I'll just sell this and buy myself DDR3L. I'll wait for Black Friday.

How about an used stick of RAM?

The original 4GB RAM is already old, it doesn't make sense to add a brand-new RAM stick to your laptop.

Components like CPU & RAM last a very longtime, they usually remain healthy even when the computer's motherboard is dead, so it's absolutely fine to buy used RAM sticks as long as they are working.