ASUS M5A78L-M LE USB3 Not Working with Windows 10

Apr 10, 2018
Dear Everyone,

I have a M5A78L-M LE/USB3 Motherboard. I have previously installed Windows 10 and the USB3 ports worked just fine, but now the USB3 ports don’t work. I have uninstalled them and reinstalled with various drivers and nothing works. I have restored all restoration points from the first point of installing windows. This was accomplished since I made restore points after installing windows and making restore points after every time windows updated. This is a tiring process in Windows 10.

I have had other problems with screens and Windows 10, but all were resolved with I just went to a previous restore point before a windows 10 update.

These USB3 ports work just fine with Ubuntu 16.04.

Can anyone help in getting the USB3 ports to work in Windows 10?

Cheers,
Rocko262c

Solution
Dear Calvin7,

Thanks ever so much for your kind suggestion. Although it didn't work for me, you put me on the path for my final solution and I am very greatful. I tried many AsMedia USB3.X drivers and yes started with the USB3.0 Controller, then would try to update the USB devices themselves, but all failed and I restarted my computer after every driver update. This was painful.

Here is what worked for me:
1. Go to this website
https://www.win-raid.com/t834f25-USB-Drivers-original-and-modded.html
2. Go to the "B. ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers" section and expand this section
3. Download the first link
4. Extract the RAR file
5. Double click on the file "DPInst64.exe"
6. Restart
7. Create a Windows Restore Point

I will continue to test...
Apr 10, 2018
Dear Lutfij,

Thanks for your kind response.

Windows 10 was installed from the same DVD twice as I upgraded my hard drive to a bigger one. The USB3's work with the first install. The USB3's worked after the second install, but as time when on something happened. I have rolled back to my first restore point after installing Windows and this didn't work.

Not sure why or how the latest BIOS revision would do anything. I have a dual boot Windows 10 with Ubuntu 16.04. The USB3's work perfect in Ubuntu 16.04. I have also used other live Ubuntu disks and the USB3's work fine as well.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. Futhermore, do you have this motherboard?

Cheers,
Rocko262C

Apr 10, 2018

Dear Lutfij,

Ok, just for a lack of solutions. I have upgraded the USB3's still don't work as expected.

For anyone upgrading the BIOS on a ASUS M5A78L-M LE USB3, it is an absolute pain. Here are some better instructions for you, rather than the 100’s of solutons that listed other variations. This combination worked for me, but isn’t intuitive.
1. Put a memory stick into the computer
2. Format it with FAT32
3. Download the latest BIOS version from ASUS directly to the memory stick and not your hard drive. Don't even copy from your hard drive to memory stick. Why or how this works makes absolutely no sense, but refer to the 100's of forums about this problem.
4. Extract the rom using WinRAR and not Windows Explorer
5. Rename the file to 8 or less characters with the file extension .rom
6. Restart the computer
7. Hit Alt-F2 for the option to enter directly into EZFlash2. Do not enter the American Megatrends BIOS first.
8. Select the rom on the memory stick and upgrade, the process will take over from here

Luckily my BIOS and computer didn’t brick.

I still am unable to use the USB3’s. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Rocko262c

Apr 10, 2018
Dear Calvin7,

Thanks ever so much for your kind suggestion. Although it didn't work for me, you put me on the path for my final solution and I am very greatful. I tried many AsMedia USB3.X drivers and yes started with the USB3.0 Controller, then would try to update the USB devices themselves, but all failed and I restarted my computer after every driver update. This was painful.

Here is what worked for me:
1. Go to this website
https://www.win-raid.com/t834f25-USB-Drivers-original-and-modded.html
2. Go to the "B. ASMedia USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers" section and expand this section
3. Download the first link
4. Extract the RAR file
5. Double click on the file "DPInst64.exe"
6. Restart
7. Create a Windows Restore Point

I will continue to test to make sure there isn't any problems writing/reading data, but for now all looks good.

Cheers,
Rocko262c

Solution