Asus P3V4X Slot1 adapter Warning

G

I got Bizarre symptoms immediately after attempting to upgrade Asus P3V4X motherboard with Celeron or P3-733 Coppermine using ABIT Slotket adapter:
Windows 98 --started then insisted on restoring "good registry" went into loop. I had no idea what the hell was wrong until on one of the Asus newsgroups I read about several people w similar problems who found that some non-Asus Slot-1 to Socket 370 adapters were causing the problem. Since I could not get my hands on an Asus version (they were all out of stock and backordered) I got a lower speed Celeron working by using the DIP switch instead of the CMOS BIOS to set CPU speed etc. However, this solution fails with the P3-733 133Mhz Coppermine CPU -with the same stupid Registry restore loop.

Finally got the Asus 370 DL (the model name is new) CPU adapter. I used the default auto voltage setting and it works just fine.

Lesson is DONT MIX BRANDS. Certainly for Asus MB's use ASUS adapters only.

Hope this will avoids big headaches for other people.

Dan S. Tong
Tong Computer Consulting
Chicago, IL USA

G

We have been using the Asus P3V4X for about 6 months or so and have experienced similar problems. Within the past month or so, the problem has worsened. I don't know if it is possibly a bad production run by Asus or what. Asus tech support denies any problem. I have tried the Asus as well as other adapters and the problem is consistent with all of them. There is no appearant pattern to the problem. Some chips work fine, others have problems.....switch chips and/or motherboards and the problem corrects itself.
Just my two cents worth since I was perusing the boards looking for any info on the problem with this motherboard.

Trey
Ocean Atlantic Computers

G

I've been having problems with my P3V4X since I bought it in June. I have a Celeron 400 in a slotket card (non Asus).

The first thing I noticed was that the CPU speed was displayed as "4>0" instead of "400". Other pages in the BIOS also displayed non-standard characters in various places.

The computer seemed to run OK at the time, so I pretty much ignored it. However, corruption and partition loss sent me to a computer tech to have a new hard drive installed. I also got a new case & power supply at the same time.

The tech informed me that I had a BIOS problem, and that the MB was defective. I immediatley took the whole system over to the dealer where I had purchased the MB in June. He looked at it and re-flashed the BIOS with no effect.

I didn't have time to leave the computer with him as I had a major project to work on, but once that was finished, I would bring it back to him.

I have since stripped the MB out and taken it back to the dealer who now tells me there is "nothing wrong". The problem is that I no longer trust this guy to give me an honest reply. I don't believe that he has the proper diagnostic equipment to check the MB out properly. I think that all he has done is set the MB up and "test" it by running Win2K & WinME on it. Nothing to find component level faults.

Any help that anyone here could provide me would be appreciatied.

Thanks.

Jim Pook
Vancouver, Canada