Asus P5K-E wifi stable but randomly won't POST

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kgiloo

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Workaround do not help.
Downgrade my bios to 0602 will enable to post every time.
Conclusion:
Newer bios than version 0602 are buggy... I guess.

zac-uk

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
my 8800gt does this, ful blast, nothing on screen. updated bios and eveything

i have fixed this by changing the ram speed in the bios to 533 and then restarting, it works now and actually lets me change whatever i want without restarting the pc and putting the fan on full and remaning that way. hope it helps.

lmmonteiro

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
I have exactly the same problem.
I have a P5K bios version 0603 with a E6750 CPU. PC only turns on when he wants and don't consider the FSB change.
Has anyone figured out any solution for this problem?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Yea, buy a new mobo. The P5K-Deluxe/Premium have been out for sometime now and Asus hasn't had a fix yet, maybe there isn't and Asus just doesn't want you to know. Thats why everyone buys the P5K-E because the E version doesn't have the same defect that the P5K-Deluxe/Premium does.

Sorry for the bad news.

ccbuilder

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
I am running the P5E with the 502 BIOS update and have one interesting, reproduceable issue. I have the HP Photosmart 7850 which houses a USB Media Card reader. It is connected directly to one of the onboard USB ports. If I have this device plugged in, power up, it will result in a black screen condition and the box will never post. Unplug the 7850, power down, and bingo I'm back up and running.

The 501 BIOS had me hosed up for quite some time and I popped 502 on when it released. Pretty stable now other than the issue with the 7850.

Anyone have this printer or has seen a similar issue with other USB hubs? I have one of those Kensington USB hubs and find that there are no issues with it being connected.

traps7

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
I have exact same problems as the original post. After looking on another forum i have disabled "Transaction Booster" in the bios. So far so good. I will let you all know how it goes.

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I have the same problem as the op with my P5W DH (which has been running stable with 4x1GB DDR2 800 Crucial Ballistix) for about 1 year (I didn't install any bios updates in the past year) - I noticed that the problem started when the ambient temperature was low (i.e.. this winter) because the heater was off in the room during the night. (if I kept my Vista PC in sleep mode, I had no problem - only on cold start or reboot when the PC had not been running for a while). My memory had been tested with memtest overnight about 5 months ago - no errors.
After checking everything else, I took out two of the 1GB sticks (1 channel) and PC had no problems. If I swapped the sticks, PC would not post - so obviously, it was something to do with the RAM. RMA'd the two sticks and waiting on the replacements.
In the meanwhile, I lowered the voltage for the memory from 2.2 to 1.9 and it is still running fine at PC6400.
Try swapping your memory - it might help.

Someone please try this:

Enter the bios and set the ram to sync with the fsb (FSB1066+DDR533, FSB1333+DDR667), manually set the ram timings to the rated spec or worse, set the ram to 1.9v or more depending on model and tell me how that goes - it seems all newer ASUS motherboards try to use the ram at lower timings which cause all sorts of issues - mine would use my Corsair PC6400 C5's at CL4-4-4-12, which would work but would require more v's to run untill i found out how it was running, after manually setting the timings and vcore all was well.

Use CPU-Z to find out the SPD and how its actually running.

Zoltuger

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
An epilogue to my problem: I persisted with the reseting the computer, I even purchased new & different memory. But it eventually refused to boot altogether.

I RMA'd the board (in mid-December 07), but sadly have yet to receive a replacement (late-January 08). This delay is like it's haunting me from the grave!
Will not be bothering with a replacement P5K-E wifi. Will choose a different P35 board.

pepe1914

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I have the same problem

When I start (not restart, if restart the system boot just fine) nothing happend except the PSU sound and leds on mainboard light, Black monitor, nothin more happens.

I press the restart button and then, after a few presses the system start with Overclock Failed, but NO OC was made."

If I cut off the main switch power, it boots in an identical way.

If I move memory stick from bank B1 to B2 it boot fine, ...
but next cold boot same problem.

My config is:
P5K3 Deluxe
RAM: 1x1024 DDR3 Kinston @1066
GPU: Asus 8600GT Silent @256 MB DDR3
HDD: 1x320 WD SATAII
CD\DVR\RW: 1 x CD\DVD\RW
PSU Antec NeoPower 550W

I've found many many post on asus' page but no solution

Any suggestions to tray?

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
This is a long shot, but I had the exact same problem as the OP in a P965 board. After lots of research and trial-and-error, I discovered that disabling the JMicron controller on the board made the problem go away permanently. I did have to switch to a SATA DVD burner so I could leave the JMicron controller disabled.

Good luck!

pepe1914

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
The nightmare continues...

I can't disable the Jmicron controller because I need it to run my old IDE HDD

Yesterday i did a clear CMOS

Today in a cold start the pc didn' boot, any beep.

To Boot I MUST unplug the power cord, wait ten seconds, plug it again and a I heard a short beep, it boots without run BIOS setup and then works fine.

I'm waiting still an answer from Asus Technic support team.

I'll tray set a little more voltage for ram as Dai says.

I'll tell you.

The Great Stonk

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
just built a system on a p5k-e board

e8400, 8800gtx, 2x2gb g.skill pc6400 (4-4-4-12), 2 seagate hdd's in raid 0, and a corsair 620watt modular PSU.

had to flash bios to version 906 to get it to recognise the new cpu, booted fine, installed vista 64bit as a test, shut her down for the night...

came back to finish off installing drivers and setting the OS up and im experiencing the same issues. board will not post, all fans on, graphics card fan starts at max speed, no image on display.

if i get chance later ill try flipping the battery, and unplugging the front panel.

surly this issue cant be across all p5** boards ? and just a batch of them ?

Poil

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Nooo Im awaiting a p5k-e wifi board as I type this its on a purolator plane :(

Now you guys got me really worried as its gonna be the first PC I build !!! Please come up with a solution for this !

e8400
P5k-e Wifi
4gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066mhz
Palit GT8800

!!!! :(

bywood1969

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
Hi, having exact same issue with a P5K Deluxe / E6750 / 2x OCZ 1066 1Gb sticks of RAM. Been running fine for 6 months or so and then wouldn't POST today. No beeps or VGA response.

Tried switching video cards but no joy. Will try memory later.

Had to upgrade BIOS initially for it to recognise the CPU but can't remember to what version.

Anyone have any idea's on how to recover? Tried the usual pulling power, removing CMOS battery and moving jumper to clear the CMOS with no joy.

Any suggestions much appreciated?

Poil

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Well I received my stuff last week, built the computer, upgraded bios to latest 1004 (I think) everything worked fine .... after 1 week, baaaam blue screen, sometime it wouldnt reboot, all fans where running but screen would stay black (but lighted) .... had to power down, wait 5 minute, then power back up ...

I kept my bios setting as they where (Jmicron disabled and ram at 1066 mhz) till yesterday when I decided to restore to default setting, since then (been 36hrs) no blue screen, and ive played a fair bit of TF2 .... Well lets jsut hope having my ram at 800mhz solves the problem (but I highly doubt it).

BTW, Blue screen post was usually PFN_list_Corrupt (or somethign like it) had 1 IRQ error too. About 6 blue screen over all in the course of a few hours.

Me4Him

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
It looks like I'm not the only one having problems with "ASUS".

I purchased a P5B Motherboard and had problems with it recovering/posting from a failed overclocking from the start.

After "Numberous" off/on it would sometimes start and work fine, the last overclocking 266X6 up to 267X6, it never did recover, no beeps, "Nothing".

I've RMA it back to Asus last week, sure hope it doesn't take a "Month" to hear or get anything back from them. :fou: :fou:

E6300 CPU
2 gigs pc800 Platinum memory
Raptor Hdrive
Gforce vid card.
550 Power supply

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007

Many posters here are complaining about P5K-E.

garethw

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I just wanted to add my voice ... Indentical situation here. Tried all the posted solutions all to no avail. Thanks all posters, though.

There was a time long ago when AsusTek was THE motherboard to own. Now its RMA time after wasting so much time on this, including half a day dismantling and cleaning my PC as a last resort. No change, of course.

Antec Gamers Case/PK5 De Luxe/WiFi/E6850@3.41GHz/2Gb Crucial Ballistix 1066/BFG GeForce 8800 GT OC 512Mb/Seagate 400Gb SATA II/Maxtor IDE 250Gb

Xanthropos

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
Likewise... been bugging me for a while but decided i should really sort it out. still no solution though?!
Anyone had any luck with the newest bios?
@garethw - agreed, I won't be getting another asus board again :(

camerons

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I had exactly the same problem on the asus P5KE-wifi ... tried bios updates and am now running the latest bios. I was running 2x 1GB corsair 800mhz RAM.. removed one stick of ram and the system has run perfectly ever since.

imnotageek

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Wow ... interesting. I have a similar problem with Asus A8N SLi. Recently I installed a Asus 8800GT and randomly, the PC just won't boot. OK, all I hear is 5 beeps and everything went dead (HDD keeps spinning I think). I have to switch it off and on and off and on till it boots normally.

And I can't replicate the problem whenever I want. After about 20 times of on and off, I would usually open up the case and give the video card a few good push. Don't know why but it works for me. Must be some bizzare connection.

All these RAM switching that people have suggested, could be just as simple as giving the mobo some physically push (like I did).

How bizarre! Now I wonder if I shall buy another Asus mobo.