ASUS P5W DH - XP Installation with SATA

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Just got my new rig and when trying to install Windows XP Pro, I just see 130 Gig instead of 320 Gig.

I tried to make floppy disk from the CD for supplemental driver, but did nothing:
* Intel ICH7R 32 bit RAID Driver Disk
* JMicrom JMB36X 32 bit RAID Driver Disk

Am I having the right drivers?
Is there something to change in the BIOS?

Information:
HD - Seagate 320Gig
BIOS : 1407

jrwalte

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
No. You only have one drive and you aren't running it in RAID. In your BIOS under IDE Configuration (off Main Page), what do you have SATA set as? IDE Enchanced or AHCI?

If IDE Enchanced, installing extra drivers will do nothing. If set to AHCI, you have to load the AHCI driver for ICH7R instead of the RAID drivers. Should be on the same floppy you created. But I suspect that isn't the case, because then WinXP shouldn't even be able to see the drive.

Are you sure you don't have one partition at 120GB? Try deleting any exisiting partitions (all data will be lost) and create a new one. When creating a new partition, if the install shows that you only have about 120GB to use, then verify the model of your HD and be absolutely sure it is the 320GB model. If it is, try installing it in another computer and see if it reads 320GB. Only other option is to RMA the HD to Seagate.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
The HD is ok. The BIOS see it has 320 but Windows Setup see only 128, even I delete all partition. I believe at that time that was the maximum supported? Once I install SP2, I can see the remaining of the drive. I guess if I had the Setup CD with SP2 it would be ok from the beginning.

What do you think?