[SOLVED] ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe BIOS Update without a supported CPU

Feb 8, 2023
Hello,

My CPU (i7-3770) is supported with the newer BIOS versions. Can I update the BIOS without a CPU, if I get this motherboard?

Solution
you will need to get a sandybridge CPU to update the BIOS and then use the 3770. This motherboard doesn´t support flashback or similar to update without a CPU

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Yes you're advised to use a 2nd Gen Intel processor to update the BIOS with the latest version before dropping in the 3rd Gen Intel processor. Given how old the motherbaord is, you're best off sourcing a 2nd Gen processor to test out the board and if it's worth flashing the BIOS on, verifying that it's not dead. You could take a look at your motherboard's manual, page 3-36, section 3.10.3 - Asus CrashFree BIOS 3 utility and follow through the instructions laid out, though your results might vary with success or failure.

Feb 8, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Yes you're advised to use a 2nd Gen Intel processor to update the BIOS with the latest version before dropping in the 3rd Gen Intel processor. Given how old the motherbaord is, you're best off sourcing a 2nd Gen processor to test out the board and if it's worth flashing the BIOS on, verifying that it's not dead. You could take a look at your motherboard's manual, page 3-36, section 3.10.3 - Asus CrashFree BIOS 3 utility and follow through the instructions laid out, though your results might vary with success or failure.

I'm not sure I understand you. I don't have a 2nd Gen CPU in order to test or update. I only have a 3rd Gen CPU which isn't supported by the default BIOS version.