[SOLVED] ASUS P8Z77-V/CG8580 won't boot into bios, even after cmos reset

refriedfood

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2012
Had this motherboard for well over a year (it is older than that) and was doing fine up until tonight when I rebooted. There was no prior incidents related to motherboard wear that I had noticed: wasn't sluggish or slow to boot, no lock up or phantoms, etc.

I used it in a secondary build in the other room only for data, which means it has nothing in its onboard slots (just sata). The only things plugged in are a cat5 cable, unless I use it locally and plug in a keyboard and small monitor.

After a reboot today, it lit up and booted to what I thought was fine, however, when I went to remotely connect it was dead. So, I hooked up the keyboard and mouse and the screen was black. I rebooted, saw the Intel Raid controller screen fine, and then after that it went to black again. The keys to get into bios are F2 or Del, but they didn't work upon reboot.

I shutdown everything, unplugged the psu, all drives but one, waited a second, reset cmos via jumper, and the system booted straight to a logo of ASUS with a message stating: Hit F2 or Delete to enter bios, however, when doing that it doesn't enter bios, in fact it doesn't respond to any key combinations at all, it just sits there. I've tried different usb ports, different keyboards, to no avail (even an old PS2 keyboard I had didn't work). So, I tried resetting the cmos again and battery, same issue, same screen. When I rebooted, it now goes straight to black due to it being reset, so I know it's reset. I even tried to use an old USB flash drive to use the on board USB FLASHBACK utility (when you hold it for 3 seconds to flash the bios off a drive), but that didn't work. It blinked, and the drive blipped as it should, but the result was the same. I tried separate bios versions and still it boots directly to black--as if it doesn't matter. Lastly, I tried to reset one more time, and it gives the ASUS screen that doesn't function, yet again.

This is out of nowhere, I'm at a loss, and I'm afraid I don't have any solutions that aren't third party. If you have any suggestions, please feel free. Thank you.

Solution
Anyone who might get this in the future, I fixed this by using the USB Flashback tool and using an older BIOS. For this model it was P8Z77-V-ASUS-2003.

The CAP file of the bios version needs to be on a FAT32 flash drive and renamed. In otherwords, the Series-model-xx-name.CAP must be renamed according to the following table and put in the root of the drive:

Z77/H77 Series BIOS Renaming Rule
After downloading the BIOS file from the ASUS website, rename it as shown below when using the following BIOS tools:
• ASUS Update Utility
• ASUS Crashfree BIOS3
• ASUS BIOS Updater

Motherboard Model -- FLASHFILE.CAP
MAXIMUS V GENE -- M5G.CAP
SABERTOOTH Z77 -- Z77ST.CAP
P8Z77-V DELUXE -- Z77VD.CAP...

refriedfood

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2012
Anyone who might get this in the future, I fixed this by using the USB Flashback tool and using an older BIOS. For this model it was P8Z77-V-ASUS-2003.

The CAP file of the bios version needs to be on a FAT32 flash drive and renamed. In otherwords, the Series-model-xx-name.CAP must be renamed according to the following table and put in the root of the drive:

Z77/H77 Series BIOS Renaming Rule
After downloading the BIOS file from the ASUS website, rename it as shown below when using the following BIOS tools:
• ASUS Update Utility
• ASUS Crashfree BIOS3
• ASUS BIOS Updater

Motherboard Model -- FLASHFILE.CAP
MAXIMUS V GENE -- M5G.CAP
SABERTOOTH Z77 -- Z77ST.CAP
P8Z77-V DELUXE -- Z77VD.CAP
P8Z77-V PRO -- Z77VP.CAP
P8Z77-V -- Z77VB.CAP
P8Z77-M PRO -- P8Z77MP.CAP
P8Z77-M -- P8Z77M.CAP
P8Z77-V LE -- P8Z77VLE.CAP