Asus P9X79 Pro

Feb 14, 2018
Good Morning

I have had a few perepherials fail on this board. I had a RAM stick that had obviously burn marks on it, a few months ago, and now I had a Evga GTX560Ti fail on the system. Diagnosed by installing an older GTS board i had on the board and am no longer having the same issues.

The RAM was discovered by getting an obvious POST Test error and random errors and visual inspection of the RAM sticks. On boot up, i had 2x sets of 16 GB rams (8GB ram sticks) for a total of 32 GB on the system.. on boot up as well it was only detecting 16, therefore a visual inspection found the problem.

Now with the graphics card, I was having distortion on the screen and random characters followed by a crash. Utilizing an older graphics card I have determined that the GPU was failing.

The GPU was of high quality being a EVga GTX560ti, and therefore my mind is starting to wonder if there is a mobo issue, however speaking to ASUS, they are saying there is no known issues with the mobo.

Now I'm trying to get some community advise on any good benchmarks, testing, or other ways to detect if there is a motherboard issue.. upon visual inspection i do not see without taking the board apart any blown capacitors or visual issues... Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to go and be replacing high end items such as RAM and or GPUs to have the same issue down the line.. Thanks for anyone's help.

Solution
If the PSU died it could have damaged the hardware enough to shorten its life span. PSU failure can also cause everything to be destroyed in other cases. Any hardware could be effected. I cannot say if the hardware was burned as a result of the motherboard or older PSU as no inspection was performed prior to PSU replacement. There should be no burning whatsoever on anything and age shouldn't be a factor.
Feb 14, 2018

I did have a Power Supply fail about a year and a half ago, I replaced it with a Corsair CX750. The GPU had operated normally since that period.. It is an older system.

Overall the system is MOBO - P9X79 Pro
Processor - i7-3930K @ 3.2 Ghz (6 core)
GPU was a EVGA GTX560Ti
Power Supply Listed Above.

Any other ideas would be great... it may just be the aging of the system.. but I've never had RAM burn and a GPU in just a few months so I wanted to ensure I was just having bad luck... Do you think it just may be residual issues after that Power Supply issue?

jr9

Estimable
If the PSU died it could have damaged the hardware enough to shorten its life span. PSU failure can also cause everything to be destroyed in other cases. Any hardware could be effected. I cannot say if the hardware was burned as a result of the motherboard or older PSU as no inspection was performed prior to PSU replacement. There should be no burning whatsoever on anything and age shouldn't be a factor.

Solution