[SOLVED] Asus prime b450m-a supported ram speed

AfikH

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
Hello,
My rig is based on the asus prime b450m-a . I currently have 3000mhz ram sticks on it and i want to upgrade. On the mobo site its says max ram speed is 3200mhz but on qvl list 4400mhz ram has been tested working.
Does it mean it can run 4400mhz or it just support 4400mhz and will run at 3200mhz ?

Thanks in advanced, Afik.

Solution
Hello,
My rig is based on the asus prime b450m-a . I currently have 3000mhz ram sticks on it and i want to upgrade. On the mobo site its says max ram speed is 3200mhz but on qvl list 4400mhz ram has been tested working.
Does it mean it can run 4400mhz or it just support 4400mhz and will run at 3200mhz ?

What it means is your MB officially supports up to 4400Mhz OC RAM.
RAM kits come in selected frequencies depending on the CL (Cas Latency) the lower the CL the more you pay.
Basically Silicon Lottery.

With OC RAM there is no guarantee they will attain their rated frequency and it usually depends on manually entering the SPD (Serial Presence Detect) in DRAM Timing control in Bios.
If an extended memory...
Hello,

What it means is your MB officially supports up to 4400Mhz OC RAM.
RAM kits come in selected frequencies depending on the CL (Cas Latency) the lower the CL the more you pay.
Basically Silicon Lottery.

With OC RAM there is no guarantee they will attain their rated frequency and it usually depends on manually entering the SPD (Serial Presence Detect) in DRAM Timing control in Bios.
If an extended memory profile (XMP or DOCP) exists for RAM all it requires is for you to activate the XMP for them to work. What the MB QVL does not reveal is which CPU you choose and the official frequency it supports.

Ultimately it depends on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the chip as to what frequency and size of RAM as to how high you can go.

Solution