[SOLVED] Asus Prime B450M-K Specs Enquiry

Aug 28, 2019
Okay. I've so much trouble with this so far!
Can someone just confirm my knowledge on this one thing?
I have a B450M-K that I would like to install a Samsung NVMe 960 Evo M.2 SSD. I have an AMD Athlon APU installed as well.

First I thought it would be fine. Later being told that the mobo + apu combo only supports SATA M.2. Therefore, being told to get an M.2 to PCIe slot adaptor. Later finding out that I can't even run that presumably because the mobo doesn't support PCIe storage straight up without a Ryzen Graphics.

This information was located under the subheader "storage"
From: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-B450M-K/specifications/

AMD B450 chipset :
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray,
Support Raid 0, 1, 10
AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
AMD Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode)

So finally does all of this mean I need to get a Ryzen apu? Because I am already an extra $150 extra out of pocket stuffing around with getting extra parts for this computer when frankly I have no clue what I am doing and I just need straight facts :(

Solution
I have a B450M-K that I would like to install a Samsung NVMe 960 Evo M.2 SSD. I have an AMD Athlon APU installed as well.

First I thought it would be fine. Later being told that the mobo + apu combo only supports SATA M.2. Therefore, being told to get an M.2 to PCIe slot adaptor. Later finding out that I can't even run that presumably because the mobo doesn't support PCIe storage straight up without a Ryzen Graphics.

AMD B450 chipset :
Support Raid 0, 1, 10...

AMD B450 chipset :
Support Raid 0, 1, 10
AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
AMD Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode)

So finally does all of this mean I need to get a Ryzen apu? Because I am already an extra $150 extra out of pocket stuffing around with getting extra parts for this computer when frankly I have no clue what I am doing and I just need straight facts :(
With all Ryzens with integrated graphics, M.2 SSD will work only at x2 mode (SATA) speeds while with non-g Ryzen it should work at x4 (NVMe ) speed. So called APUs already use some PCIe lines internally not allowing enough lines for PCIe x4 required for NVME.

Solution