Question ASUS Prime B550M-K motherboard but has a G10DK Bios

Dec 10, 2022
Hello, I was given multiple pc parts including an ASUS Prime B550M-K motherboard. I put everything together and booted up and I am having some issues with blue screen 0xc0000428 error and "BIOS recovery mode mode has been detected" screens. Tried to see if I needed a BIOS update and once I boot into BIOS settings, I noticed it identifies my board as a G10DK board, which seems to be part of a prebuild? My motherboard clearly shows that it's a B550M-K on the board itself. I downloaded the BIOS update for the B550M-K but EZflash does not recognize it as a proper BIOS file for some reason. I downloaded the B550M-K BIOS as a .CAP file. I can install the latest G10DK BIOS but I was already running that anyway, it comes as a .309 file which is also the version number of the latest BIOS. Same thing for the previous G10DK BIOS v.307 coming as a .307 file.

Is there something going on here with the motherboard since it was apparently taken out of a prebuild? And is there any way to force flash the proper BIOS on my PC without using EZflash? I've reinstalled Windows and completely formatted all of my drives and still there are errors, so I'm thinking it's this BIOS mix-up that is the problem. I can boot into Windows usually after rebooting from getting an error screen.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The BIOS support for that board, is here;
Your board came from a prebuilt and it's very likely that the sticker covering the motherboard's model(on the PCB) was removed. You cannot force a BIOS for another board onto your unless you're proficient with writing BIOS (micro)code.

That being said, the latest BIOS version is 309, hence you have an update pending if you're truly on version 307. If the board was sold to you as an ASUS Prime B550M-K board, then you might want to return the board since your investigation has lead you to discover that it was salvaged from a prebuilt.

I've reinstalled Windows and completely formatted all of my drives and still there are errors,
Errors? What OS are you working with? Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Dec 10, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The BIOS support for that board, is here;
Your board came from a prebuilt and it's very likely that the sticker covering the motherboard's model(on the PCB) was removed. You cannot force a BIOS for another board onto your unless you're proficient with writing BIOS (micro)code.

That being said, the latest BIOS version is 309, hence you have an update pending if you're truly on version 307. If the board was sold to you as an ASUS Prime B550M-K board, then you might want to return the board since your investigation has lead you to discover that it was salvaged from a prebuilt.

I've reinstalled Windows and completely formatted all of my drives and still there are errors,
Errors? What OS are you working with? Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Hey there, thanks for the information. The board was given to me so it's not a huge loss. From searching online it does seem that Asus puts identical boards that they make into prebuild and then flashes a non-retail BIOS. Trying to see if there's some way to get the retail BIOS on it. I am running the latest 309 version for the G10DK.

The errors I've been consistently getting are usually error code 0xc0000428, which a reboot usually fixes.
"BIOS recovery mode mode has been detected" error on boot, reflashing the latest BIOS does not make the error go away and it randomly comes back usually after a restart.
And ever so often a "secure boot violation invalid signature detected" error that a restart fixes or disabling secure boot in the BIOS temporarily makes it go away, even though I don't get the error 100% of the time secure boot is enabled.

Windows 11 installation media was downloaded from direct source and created using the latest version of Rufus.

Lutfij

Titan
Windows 11 installation media was downloaded from direct source and created using the latest version of Rufus.
Why didn't you just use Windows Media Creation Tools to fabricate the bootable USB installer instead of just downloading the ISO for Rufus...? With the newly created OS installer, try and reinstall your OS but without www access to prevent the OS from downloading and installing drivers it thinks is right for the platform. Manually install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Dec 10, 2022
Why didn't you just use Windows Media Creation Tools to fabricate the bootable USB installer instead of just downloading the ISO for Rufus...? With the newly created OS installer, try and reinstall your OS but without www access to prevent the OS from downloading and installing drivers it thinks is right for the platform. Manually install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I just use Rufus a lot and usually have no problems. I can try to install this way later today but I did already reinstall without internet access last night so I doubt that is going to fix things.

Dec 10, 2022
Just did a fresh install without connectivity and it immediately throws out the same errors. I'm really at my wits end with this.