[SOLVED] Asus Prime Z490M-Plus: slow pulsing amber LED, no boot

Jul 18, 2020
Hi all,

Newbie builder here, building from the "Home Professional Audio Workstation Build" template here: https://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/build-pc-music-production-audio-daw#examples

The board is getting power (fans are coming on, including the radiator fans for the Celsius S24). There's enough power in the USB ports to light up a USB lamp, but not enough to light up my Logitech G512 keyboard. When I first turn on the PSU, I can see a steady amber light from under the board, but when I try to boot, the amber light starts slowly pulsing, and there's no display.

I have gone through the pinned checklist (which is great), and eliminated just about every variable, including pulling out the graphics card (the CPU has on-board graphics) and trying all of the memory sticks individually, and have quadruple checked all connections. But when I take out the CPU and examine the socket, it looks to me like a couple of pins are bent. (My eyesight isn't fantastic, but under magnification, there are definitely 2-3 pins that don't look like their neighbors.)

Are the slowly pulsing amber LEDs possibly indicative of bent pins? I can't find anything in the documentation for the Asus Prime Z490M-Plus that describes these LEDs, and this motherboard does not appear to have Q-LEDS, nor do I have any way to get a POST code (no speaker or display). If the pins are the issue, I guess I have no recourse but to try get the board replaced/fixed, correct?

Thanks for any guidance.

- Dave

Solution
First see if you can get those bent pins fixed. There are some vids to find about that. Or rma and hope they don't say that it might be your own doing, otherwise might it cost money.

Think the leds you talk about are in the left lower part of the motherboard (?) which is a trace that seperates the audio part of the pcb from the rest of the motherboard. Has nothing to do with your problems or is indicative of problems.

Can post a picture here of the bent pins so we can look as well,

You can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
First see if you can get those bent pins fixed. There are some vids to find about that. Or rma and hope they don't say that it might be your own doing, otherwise might it cost money.

Think the leds you talk about are in the left lower part of the motherboard (?) which is a trace that seperates the audio part of the pcb from the rest of the motherboard. Has nothing to do with your problems or is indicative of problems.

Can post a picture here of the bent pins so we can look as well,

You can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.

Solution