Asus Radeon R9-290X DirectCU II Detailed, Priced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a nice card! *scrolls down*.... WTF is that? Stickers? What is this? Some 4 year old girl's MLP sticker book? Thanks but no thanks.
Seriously, If I am going to pay $500 for a GPU then you could at the very least apply the stickers before shipping the product; Or even better, hire a designer who can make a product that looks good and complete without stickers!

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Are ppl on here seriously confused about the stickers? Performance enhancing(funny) to cypto mining, lol again...

They're simply to match your Asus mother board, if you please:)
The new Z87 boards have gold accents and the Z77's RoG were red.

lp231

Splendid

There was a article here on Toms that mentioned Asus is doing this so users can match their setups and the very first card to get it was the GTX 780Ti. Now the 290x is also getting the same treatment. IMO those sticker are pointless because 99% of system built the card's cooler will be facing downwards so we won't see it anyway. I kind of like in this all black color scheme.
Also the price is in British Pounds not U.S. dollars.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
"Finally, the Radeon R9 290X is up to $600 and just as hard to track down."
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Considering they've upped the price of this (and the 280,290 as well) by $100.00 across the board these aren't the "incredible deal" praised by many. The comparable Nvidia product didn't behave like a 1200watt blow dryer/space heater at launch. I'll take efficiency and stability over a product that is pushed aggressively to compete.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
"Finally, the Radeon R9 290X is up to $600 and just as hard to track down."
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Considering they've upped the price of this (and the 280,290 as well) by $100.00 across the board these aren't the "incredible deal" praised by many. The comparable Nvidia product didn't behave like a 1200watt blow dryer/space heater at launch. I'll take efficiency and stability over a product that is pushed aggressively to compete.

JRodriguez79

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Finally, Radeon R9 290X with twin fan cooling now I will buy one, cant wait. My build is ready I've just been waiting. Hope to have one by mid January, the MSI twin frost R9 209X will be here 1st of January so hop this one will be released around the same time. I've been a long time supporter of AMD and Radeon.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Na, there is no reason from Tom's to review it. They've already done more then their share; chasing down the problems with the OEM cooler. Plus the end result is already known from the fix article(Accelero Xtreme III). Besides with a less than a week before Christmas no one should be stuck a hardware lab; those in-depth benchmark articles must take dozens of man hours. Doing it for 52 weeks would drive a person insane.

redeemer

Distinguished

Hey Mouse aren't you going comment on this post?

What would you like me to say?

redeemer

Distinguished

That makes no sense at all, the GTX 780TI has potential to eat over 570watts with skynet BIOS PT and vcore tweaks. At stock sure the 780ti is less that 6% faster @ 1440p and less at 4k over the 290x, but runs out of buffer in 4k in a few games.

Thus I would take a card that is cheaper and actually gives me more vram for less money!

redeemer

Distinguished

Maybe its just me but over the years it seems you have something to say when a members rip into Nvidia but nada when its AMD..?

That's a bit misleading isn't it? The standard spec has the 780Ti equipped with one 8 pin and one 6 pin which would only allow it to draw 300w, the AIB's who who use their own designs however are the ones that can suck a lot of power but then the same could be done with all and any AMD cards so why are suggesting that all 780Ti's can suck 570w when they don't have the power connectors for it?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

bitcoin farmers were buying up everything amd because they are faster at mining.
now with bitcoins fall of 50% their value, they may let the hell up on buying amd cards a bit and let the gamers get their chance at them.

I wonder if some of those cards are going to start turning up on fleabay over the next few weeks.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

What the heck does a 780ti run in UK? This is $816 in USD. That is well over a superclocked $730 780ti card in USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS