Asus Responds to Intel's Exit from Motherboard Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Maxx_Power[/nom]Big question for Asus and Gigabyte (MSI also):What is going to happen to your core business line-up when Intel chips go BGA-only ?[/citation]
Um, did Otellini whisper this in your ear? Please don't spread misinformation. Broadwell might skip the LGA socket but there's been little evidence to show that Haswell's the last LGA chip.

Also, BGA chips need to be soldered to something, which will most probably be a motherboard by one of the you've named.

threehosts

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I find this rather confusing, will they stop manufacturing motherboards or completely discontinue chipsets for desktop computers altogether?

I can't believe that the demand for enthusiast gaming rigs, professional workstations or small-scale tower servers has ceased or will cease anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong here, if Intel releases chipsets for desktop motherboards it is equally important that they also release reference designs and "best practice" guides for these chipsets. Otherwise who would be to blame for design flaws? Someone has to take responsibility for the design.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]Why does every companies response about any question always have to end up an advertisement for that company?[/citation]
I think its a very professional response and a good move by ASUS. Sure its an add... any news article with your companies name in it is an add... whether it be good news or bad news.

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]Why does every companies response about any question always have to end up an advertisement for that company?[/citation]Because the reason they exist is to make money. When the PR department for a corporation has a chance to get publicity, they'd be retarded to not promote themselves.

therealcold187

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Maxx_Power[/nom]Big question for Asus and Gigabyte (MSI also):What is going to happen to your core business line-up when Intel chips go BGA-only ?[/citation]
Why on earth would you think that sockets will ever go away? Intel realizes if there is no more socket cpu then they will sell less cpu as I know alot of people buy a cheap cpu when building there first PC because they know down the road they will be able to buy a better cpu and sell or trade there slower cpu. Also a socket usually last a couple of years so if you buy a cpu at the begining of a socket there is a chance they will buy another cpu at the end of the sockets life cycle. Example say joe blow buys a I3 or I5 sandy cpu and said person wants a more speed so they buy a Ivy I5/I7 cpu. If this person had to buy a new cpu/motherboard they would just wait longer to upgrade as the price to performance benfit is no longer worth while so INTEL loses that sale. Also if you look at how many pc where around 15 years ago till today how can you say we are in a post pc era.... If you told me there would be this many pc today back in the 386 days I would laugh at you. We are still in the PC era and will be for many more years.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]Here's what ASUS response should have been.Asus spokesman: "We have not stopped celebrating for over a week now. John passed out in the bathroom a few hours ago, and Jane broke her hip. She was still laughing as the ambulance took her away. On a side note, we expect sales to increase 15% as companies buy more of our crap to replace that intel crap."[/citation]
Yeah, but they need to advertise themselves as the most suitable replacement for Intel before they get to actually become one and only then can they have a crazy bitch dance on the table and break her hip.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Um, did Otellini whisper this in your ear? Please don't spread misinformation. Broadwell might skip the LGA socket but there's been little evidence to show that Haswell's the last LGA chip.Also, BGA chips need to be soldered to something, which will most probably be a motherboard by one of the you've named.[/citation]

Moreover... all the RoHS compliance requirements mean the lead-less (non-elastic) solder would result in BGA separations from any PCB they tried to attach it to. With CPU heat and silicon PCBs that are a sponge to humidity (warping of the PCBA), I cannot see how this could work.

But who knows, the sale of flux pens could go up...

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
The Intel announcement gives insight into why the whole no LGA after Haswell rumor could have started. Not sure of the source of that rumor, but let's say you are an LGA supplier...I don't maybe Molex (they make a lot of connectors). Follow me on this...well one day Intel calls you and says hey after 2013 we wont be needing as many LGA sockets and then in 2014-15 we will need even less. BINGO OMG INTEL NO LONGER IS SUPPORTING LGA CPUS rumor hits the web and there you go one theory behind how that might have happened.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]Why does every companies response about any question always have to end up an advertisement for that company?[/citation]
What would you like them to say then? Intel boards are gone, and that's it? They're businesses, Intel left a portion of the market wide open for companies to claim customers. Those who previously purchased intel motherboards must now find another supplier, like i don't get what you would like them to say.

Lestr50

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Get real people! Infidel will HAVE to continue making/designing boards, chipsets and sockets. They just ain't gonna waste their time and your money trying to sell them. That's it. Give up their mediocre slice of market share and plow those funds back into R&D. The same goes for all the crap about soldered sockets for all CPUs. Get real. It's a marketing ploy - they have everyone talking about it and haven't spent a dime on advertising. One tidbit at a time... another... They sky is falling!!! Oh my!.. it's just a bunch of crap.

I like the comment about throwing a party but it isn't enough news to make it a very big party now is it? Most of the real laughter happens when Infidel releases a new "We've got it going on now!" board. The engineers at Asus and Gigabyte HAVE to laugh only moments before they blow the roof off everything Intel didn't do on their latest and greatest. Ho hum.. nap time.

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
that blows... Intel made good motherboards... it could achieve the same CPU power with half has many power phases stuck to the board...

Hate to loose a company from the market that has the research and engineering capability of Intel

Dry

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Um, did Otellini whisper this in your ear? Please don't spread misinformation. Broadwell might skip the LGA socket but there's been little evidence to show that Haswell's the last LGA chip.Also, BGA chips need to be soldered to something, which will most probably be a motherboard by one of the you've named.[/citation]

READ, my friend.

I simply asked if ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI had anything to say about what their future plans are (however VAGUE they have been) WHEN Intel becomes BGA-only. I didn't say that "WHEN" is Haswell or Broadwell, or whatever generation. It is a well discussed possibility right now, since about the end of 2012. So far, there is no evidence for either plain continuation of LGA or complete transition to BGA, just meaningful discussions about possibilities.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Here is what Anand said, and I think it is apt:

"

There's also the obvious motivation: the desktop PC business isn't exactly booming. Late last year word spread of Intel's plans for making Broadwell (14nm Core microprocessor in 2014) BGA-only. While we'll continue to see socketed CPUs beyond that, the cadence will be slower than what we're used to. The focus going forward will be on highly integrated designs, even for the desktop (think all-in-ones, thin mini-ITX, NUC, etc...). Couple that reality with low board margins and exiting the desktop motherboard business all of the sudden doesn't sound like a bad idea for Intel. "

From

I think this is a more appropriate interpretation than what the corporate air-heads had to spew out thus far...

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]therealcold187[/nom]Why on earth would you think that sockets will ever go away? Intel realizes if there is no more socket cpu then they will sell less cpu as I know alot of people buy a cheap cpu when building there first PC because they know down the road they will be able to buy a better cpu and sell or trade there slower cpu. Also a socket usually last a couple of years so if you buy a cpu at the begining of a socket there is a chance they will buy another cpu at the end of the sockets life cycle. Example say joe blow buys a I3 or I5 sandy cpu and said person wants a more speed so they buy a Ivy I5/I7 cpu. If this person had to buy a new cpu/motherboard they would just wait longer to upgrade as the price to performance benfit is no longer worth while so INTEL loses that sale. Also if you look at how many pc where around 15 years ago till today how can you say we are in a post pc era.... If you told me there would be this many pc today back in the 386 days I would laugh at you. We are still in the PC era and will be for many more years.[/citation]

One of the reasons why sockets are on their way out is because tehcnology/hardware is becoming smaller and far more integrated than before.
Here's a question: how would you expect to change/upgrade hardware on your own on a microscopic or molecular level?
At home? Unless you have industrial grade equipment, you cannot.

While I agree that retaining modular designs should be there... the problem with Intel (and industries at large) is that they don't make universal plugs for hardware so they could be upgraded down the line (except GPU's - which seem to share the PCI plugs and AGP before that).

Intel actually changes sockets with practically every revision now, which makes it impossible to upgrade to new CPU's anyway... so what exactly would be lost with eliminating sockets?
Nothing.
You cannot upgrade either way because of differences in pin layout or socket changes and you are left with waiting until your hardware is old enough until you buy something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.