Asus Responds to Intel's Exit from Motherboard Business

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Moreover... all the RoHS compliance requirements mean the lead-less (non-elastic) solder would result in BGA separations from any PCB they tried to attach it to. With CPU heat and silicon PCBs that are a sponge to humidity (warping of the PCBA), I cannot see how this could work.But who knows, the sale of flux pens could go up...[/citation]
So how are all your GPUs attached to the card itself? That's right – BGA. And GPUs are up to (or even over) 300 W, which is way more than the most power-hungry desktop CPUs (more like 95 W for ones relevant to this).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]Why does every companies response about any question always have to end up an advertisement for that company?[/citation]
Because every company was probably asked what they were going to do the moment that this news broke, so they put out on mass mailer to everybody.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Maxx_Power[/nom]READ, my friend. I simply asked if ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI had anything to say about what their future plans are (however VAGUE they have been) WHEN Intel becomes BGA-only. I didn't say that "WHEN" is Haswell or Broadwell, or whatever generation. It is a well discussed possibility right now, since about the end of 2012. So far, there is no evidence for either plain continuation of LGA or complete transition to BGA, just meaningful discussions about possibilities.[/citation]
Ah, ok sorry. I assumed you were referring to that rumor, because everyone just ate it up like breakfast.

[citation][nom]Maxx_Power[/nom]Here is what Anand said, and I think it is apt:"There's also the obvious motivation: the desktop PC business isn't exactly booming. Late last year word spread of Intel's plans for making Broadwell (14nm Core microprocessor in 2014) BGA-only. While we'll continue to see socketed CPUs beyond that, the cadence will be slower than what we're used to. The focus going forward will be on highly integrated designs, even for the desktop (think all-in-ones, thin mini-ITX, NUC, etc...). Couple that reality with low board margins and exiting the desktop motherboard business all of the sudden doesn't sound like a bad idea for Intel. "From I think this is a more appropriate interpretation than what the corporate air-heads had to spew out thus far...[/citation]
Yup i read that. i've usually found that Ananad makes a lot of sense when predicting Intel related stuff, which may be because he has a few good sources at Intel (he refers to them occasionally, at least).

Much better than the crap Zak/Kevin (and earlier Wolfgang) keep spewing out.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Ah, ok sorry. I assumed you were referring to that rumor, because everyone just ate it up like breakfast.Yup i read that. i've usually found that Ananad makes a lot of sense when predicting Intel related stuff, which may be because he has a few good sources at Intel (he refers to them occasionally, at least).Much better than the crap Zak/Kevin (and earlier Wolfgang) keep spewing out.[/citation]

Yep, I see that I am the bacon and eggs special of the day!

Here is to hoping that there will still be a thriving enthusiast market out there in 5 years time (I'm all for Intel exploring mini-form factors and find them useful and tasteful), although if Danger Den recently having gone out of business is any example of the market...

gamersglory

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Here is the jest of what Intel has said they will not be making Intel Branded motherboards anymore they have lost money on that. But will still make the Chipsets for third party's so it effects pretty much no one

3ogdy

Distinguished
From the Gigabyte response I couldn't understand a damn thing in the end. ASUS definitely makes it clearer:
"We have the utmost confidence in Intel’s continued commitment to desktop CPUs and chipsets, and eagerly look forward to leading the next generation of Build Your Own enthusiasts and system builders."
They want to keep building Intel motherboards and they are happy to support Intel's products and encourage Intel to keep releasing socketed CPUs. They support the "BUILD YOUR OWN enthusiasts and the system BUILDERS - not only the system BUYERS. - How the hell can you say this isn't clear?

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
It appears that at least half of the people commenting about this, don't understand the gravity of the situation. It's not that Intel will quit making motherboards, it's that the motherboard/cpu as we know it, will no longer exist. This is not giving Asus more market share, it's cutting them out altogether. Them and everybody else.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
It appears that at least half of the people commenting about this, don't understand the gravity of the situation. It's not that Intel will quit making motherboards, it's that the motherboard/cpu as we know it, will no longer exist. This is not giving Asus more market share, it's cutting them out altogether. Them and everybody else.

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Rumor as I understand it:
Intel, finding its motherboards more difficult to sell and support (reviews have foun fault with BIOS and driver choices) have withdrawn from the market. Undoubtably the engineering is going to tablets and moble devices.
The sales volume for motherboards (for INTEL) isn't ther anymore.
Already pricey, Intel says bye-bye.
Future.
Celeron, Pentium, and I3 PROBABLY will become not LGA soldered on chips. Want to upgrade, change MB/Chip combo.
I5 and I7, at least in the enthusiast versions will remain LGA available.
With VRM contol on chip, low power and heat (low cooling requirements) motherboards (at least in the eyes of ntel accountants) will have less differentation, and reason for premium brand choice.
Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, feel the market for profitable motherboards will remain/grow.

All players are in it for the money.
Thre is a lot of loyalty to Intel motherboards, but the price/performamance/ reliability value went away for most people. Other choices made more sense.

We have to hope enthusiast market supports itself to the accountants.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Its important that companies like Asus keep the Enthusiast alive. Asus is making top of the line everything right now . Gygabyte and Asrock compete well but they dont make products like routers among other things.

jameskater

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

haha,i totally agree with you,you are smart!

softplacetoland

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I just like comments which aprove responses as bad as this. I could understand that you justify Asus or any company giving sucha pile of words without too much essence if you are in possesion of Asus stocks or at least you are related to the one who owns. From a customer point of view I don't see any practical reason to pat them on the back because response looks so good to the board but not to consumer.

Sukkit

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Crap like this makes me glad I stopped buying Asus years ago. Talk like a human being, no one wants your convoluted corporate lingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.