News Asus ROG Ally Z1 Handheld Rumored to Cost $599 with 256 GB SSD

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
Not worth it . Handhelds need game optimization PC games are not for them... I wish That Nintendo release their next handheld soon. with such hardware.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Not worth it . Handhelds need game optimization PC games are not for them... I wish That Nintendo release their next handheld soon. with such hardware.
Not sure I agree completely. No you won't be able to play ever game and certainly not maxed out but there is a place for PC handhelds. My adult nephew uses his Steam Deck all the time. I on the other hand returned mine as it felt a little to beta for me in July but I did see the huge potential and did like the unit for the most part. The quad core CPU gave me pause as well. Give me a Windows 11 based hand held that can also allow for steam OS, with a hair more CPU/GPU power than the Steam Deck and I would likely make a purchase. The Z1 extreme edition fits that bill nicely. I am looking forward to reviews on the device when it comes out.

LabRat 891

Honorable
Apr 18, 2019
It's funny to see "the one that popularized the category" becoming the SOLID best-value, as similar (but higher-performing) units come to market.

Until someone comes out with a modular and expandable handheld PC, I'll be sticking with my 1TB-upgraded Steam Deck and Ryzen5k+16GBvega Desktop.

Mar 22, 2023
Are you kidding? Have you seen what is capable on the Steam Deck? That things runs most steam games really well and there is an entire community dedicated to find the best tweaks for them.

If both pricing rumors are correct this one is a head scratcher as $100 more would get you 2 more CPU cores (limited use, but still), twice the storage and the big one of 8 more CUs worth of GPU. Should the pricing shape up this way I'll be looking at the Extreme as it seems to be the best value of the non Steam Deck handhelds. I like what Valve is doing with the Steam Deck immensely, but I'm not a fan of Zen 2 and very much prefer offset sticks.

Mar 22, 2023
If both pricing rumors are correct this one is a head scratcher as $100 more would get you 2 more CPU cores (limited use, but still), twice the storage and the big one of 8 more CUs worth of GPU. Should the pricing shape up this way I'll be looking at the Extreme as it seems to be the best value of the non Steam Deck handhelds. I like what Valve is doing with the Steam Deck immensely, but I'm not a fan of Zen 2 and very much prefer offset sticks.
Yeah, something doesn't seem right with that price rumor. I would think it would be closer to $999 for the Extreme version.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
Are you kidding? Have you seen what is capable on the Steam Deck? That things runs most steam games really well and there is an entire community dedicated to find the best tweaks for them.

not enough .. also MS windows is a huge layer in between . unlike consoles. maybe MS releases an XBOX handheld soon ... you will see the difference .

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
That $699 price tag for the Z1 Extreme version is too good! Dave2D mentioned Asus were gonna price the Ally conpetitively but I never thought it'd be so close to the Deck.

Mar 22, 2023
not enough .. also MS windows is a huge layer in between . unlike consoles. maybe MS releases an XBOX handheld soon ... you will see the difference .
It is quite clear you have no idea what you are talking about, so I will leave it at that. I played many hours of Elden Ring and Dying Light Stay Human 2 on my Steam Deck and they ran great while on a recent 20 day trip to Australia. Good luck bringing your gaming PC the next time you travel.

Reactions: colossusrage

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
The biggest difference between the performance of the two will come down to the processors. The AMD Z1 has 6 cores and 12 threads alongside 22 MB of cache. The AMD Z1 Extreme has a little beefier specs supporting it with 8 cores and 16 threads along with 24 MB of cache. These differences are subtle but can make a notable difference performance-wise depending on what you want to play.
Ash, that's not entirely correct. The biggest difference in performance is that the regular Z1 chip's GPU has 2 CU, while the Z1 Extreme will have 8 CU. That's a lot of graphics performance from one to the other, and the difference between playing the latest games or only 2D and old games.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
It is quite clear you have no idea what you are talking about, so I will leave it at that. I played many hours of Elden Ring and Dying Light Stay Human 2 on my Steam Deck and they ran great while on a recent 20 day trip to Australia. Good luck bringing your gaming PC the next time you travel.
I know exactly what I am talking about. had it been a real handheld console with native Gaming OS you would have seen at least 25% more performance and at more details level .

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Just imagine a Switch 2 powered by this babe.. it would leap two generations in one go, the current hardware is running at 0.5tflops! This Z1 Extreme is really close to the PS5 whichs insane of you think about it

Btw, can't this APU be used as a desktop processor?? At 8.6 TFlops isn't it roughly a RX 6600? I mean holy crp! That's just enough to play most ganes maxed out at 1080p really!

Last edited: