Question ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) TPM 2.0 Question

rjabend

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
I have an Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) motherboard(MB) that I purchased in 2018 or so. I upgraded to Windows 11 when it came out and the MB passed the Windows 11 compatibility/health check. As of late, it failed 11 compatibility with TPM 2.0. The MB has a 14-pin TPM connector so I purchased an Asus plugin TPM device to become compatible. I haven't received that yet. In searching Reddit I found a post suggesting I change my BIOS Advanced>PCH-FW. I changed it to TPM Firmware and that made my system pass the Windows 11 Health Check including compatibility with TPM 2.0. Does the TPM MB plug-in add any value? Can anyone explain what the BIOS change does?

Lutfij

Titan
Out of curiosity, which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? You actually don't need the TPM add-on module, if you had the right BIOS version, i.e, version 1903, you didn't need to do any of that running around;
Version 1903
2021/08/03 8.18 MBytes
ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) BIOS 1903
1. Support Windows 11 by default, no settings changes required in the UEFI BIOS.
2. Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (M11HW.CAP) using BIOS Renamer.

rjabend

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? You actually don't need the TPM add-on module, if you had the right BIOS version, i.e, version 1903, you didn't need to do any of that running around;

Thanks!
For some reason, when I follow the instructions including renaming and try to update my BIOS. I get the not a BIOS file message. My current BIOS is 1704 . . . looks like it is outdated.

Lutfij

Titan
If you're able to get into BIOS for your platform(and the board's make and model is the right one), instead of renaming the BIOS file go ahead and flash the BIOS as stated in your motherboard manual, page 3-29, section 3.11.2. Just make sure the BIOS file that you'd unzipped is in the root directory of your USB. Also, gradually update the BIOS instead of jumping to the latest, taking note of any MEI updates that might be needed to install before moving onto the next BIOS version/update.

rjabend

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
I finally got the BIOS update to work by following your instructions although I had to skip over 1903 because it didn't work (twice). I am now on 2004 BIOS. I found the Intel ME utility and installed it, but my mouse will not work in BIOS. Any thoughts on a fix for that?