ASUS ROG STRIX 1080TI OC GAMING is getting higher clockspeed than what I set in MSI Afterburner

Andy Nguyen

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2014
Hello I have the GPU mentioned in the title and I use MSI Afterburner to overclock it.

I set the Core Clock to +99 meaning it is supposed to run at 1594+99=1693mhz, right?

But In-game OSD constantly shows the GPU is running at 2025-2050mhz and sometimes the computer freezes up.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Wonrg, wrong, wrong, wrong, completely wrong.

Modern GPUs have something called GPU Boost.
It allows the GPU to auto-overclock itself if temperature allows it. It's similar to Turbo Boost on CPUs.

Most GPUs from the 1000 series can reach a clock speed of 1900-2000 MHz no problem. This is called the Boost Clock.
By manually overclocking, you effectively apply whatever MHz value you select to the boost clock.

So, say your GPU boosts up to 1950 MHz. With your +99 MHz overclock, it will attempt to go to 2049 MHz.
Not many cards can go this high.
So, in order to solve your issue, reduce the overclock or simply run it at stock settings and let the GPU overclock itself into Nirvana.

Did you increase the power limit to accommodate the OC?

rhoban

Prominent
Mar 17, 2018
Wonrg, wrong, wrong, wrong, completely wrong.

Modern GPUs have something called GPU Boost.
It allows the GPU to auto-overclock itself if temperature allows it. It's similar to Turbo Boost on CPUs.

Most GPUs from the 1000 series can reach a clock speed of 1900-2000 MHz no problem. This is called the Boost Clock.
By manually overclocking, you effectively apply whatever MHz value you select to the boost clock.

So, say your GPU boosts up to 1950 MHz. With your +99 MHz overclock, it will attempt to go to 2049 MHz.
Not many cards can go this high.
So, in order to solve your issue, reduce the overclock or simply run it at stock settings and let the GPU overclock itself into Nirvana.

Did you increase the power limit to accommodate the OC?

Solution

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
II have the same card and here is my settings in Msi Afterburner: Core Voltage:+100 - Power Limit:120% - Temp Limit:90 - Core Clock:+215 Memory Clock:+650 Adjust fan curve a bit to compensate for a little heat according to your sound tolerance. You will be in +2000mhz land all day long. Enjoy this beast at these settings!!