Question ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Motherboard "USB Device Over-current Status Detected" error

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I bought an ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Motherboard and built a new desktop PC for my brother. The system is as follows:

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wi-Fi Motherboard
AMD 3900X 12-core CPU weith stock Wraith cooler
16GB Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz RAM
Samsung 980 M.2 SSD
Nvidia GT1050 GPU
Corsair CX750-watt PSU
Corsair 110R Mid-tower Case
Windows 10 Home

After building the PC, I stressed tested it for a couple of days and all was running well. I gave the system to my brother and it was working fine for a week and now he gets the error:

"USB Device Over-current Status Detected!! The system will shut down in 15 seconds."

I disconnected ALL the USB devices; keyboard, mouse, front panel connector, USB fan connector for the CPU cooler and the error still persists. I searched online and this seems to be a common issue and the usual culprit is that a damaged USB device is connected to the system. But failing that, the motherboard would be the last resort.

Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution? I don't understand why it would work for a couple of weeks and suddenly fail.

Yes, as mentioned in the original post... Thanks
If you still get this message with all USB cables disconnected it's apparent the problem is hardware on the motherboard. You might have a defective USB port on the motherboard so contact ASUS about warranty claim. It may be pretty rare for something like this to happen but it also seems like this is a new motherboard and that's when problems like this are most likely to pop up.

Last edited:

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I ended up buying a replacement board from Best Buy as Amazon would not be able to get me a replacement board until mid-January. I submitted the bad board for a refund. The replacement board from Best Buy works fine...

BTW, sicne I replaced the board, will I have an issue with my Windows license?