Question Asus Rog Strix B650A can’t load windows

Feb 1, 2024
I just built a new computer with a Ryzen 9 7900x and a B650A mobo. I’ve updated the bios to the latest version, but now I can’t load widows from the usb where I put the media tool from windows. I’m a beginner and this is my second build, first one went fine.
Ryzen9 7900x
B650A
DDR5 5600 2x32 G. Skill Ram

The usb is listed as the boot device but every time I save and exit it goes to the bios screen. No windows setup screen.

Bios had been defaulted after trying many different settings.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What Windows are you trying to install? Where did you source the installer for your OS? You might want to recreate the bootable USB installer, then in the Boot menu(Save & Exit), manually select the drive to override(which should show up under Boot Override), that will cause the system to reboot and you should move forward with the OS install.

Asus Rog Strix B650A
Is this the motherboard you're working with? What BIOS version are you currently on?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024
Thank you! Also thanks for the reply!

Yes, that’s it. I am on Bios 2412.
I got the installer from Microsoft.com the second choice down, create windows 11 installation media.
I’ve tried two different usb’s. The “old” one from last weeks build (went fine) was actually the second usb that I tried. I had purchased a new one. I put the installation media on the new usb a couple of times. Then reloaded it onto the old usb, as it had been used for another thing, same result,
It shows the pny usb under the boot menu, it also lists it under boot option #1 there is a dropdown and it is the only thing listed besides disabled. The usb is also shown on the main bios page under boot priority. It’s the only thing listed.
Under boot override it is also listed PNY usb 2.0. When I click the drive in boot override the screen goes black for about 1 second and returns to the same screen. (Boot menu)

I’ve put the usb into at least 2 usb ports, I have a WD Black 2T M.2 installed.

There is no gpu installed. I have one but when it’s in the PCI slot the mobo will not boot. (That’s issue #2 unless you think it could be related).

Apr 24, 2024
Thank you! Also thanks for the reply!

Yes, that’s it. I am on Bios 2412.
I got the installer from Microsoft.com the second choice down, create windows 11 installation media.
I’ve tried two different usb’s. The “old” one from last weeks build (went fine) was actually the second usb that I tried. I had purchased a new one. I put the installation media on the new usb a couple of times. Then reloaded it onto the old usb, as it had been used for another thing, same result,
It shows the pny usb under the boot menu, it also lists it under boot option #1 there is a dropdown and it is the only thing listed besides disabled. The usb is also shown on the main bios page under boot priority. It’s the only thing listed.
Under boot override it is also listed PNY usb 2.0. When I click the drive in boot override the screen goes black for about 1 second and returns to the same screen. (Boot menu)

I’ve put the usb into at least 2 usb ports, I have a WD Black 2T M.2 installed.

There is no gpu installed. I have one but when it’s in the PCI slot the mobo will not boot. (That’s issue #2 unless you think it could be related).
I am having the same issue did you ever find a solution? we have similar builds and I've done many of the same steps.