Question ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3080 OC two flashing red lights

tirantloblanc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Hello,

My GPU (ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 OC GAMING 10GB) came with my system from Ankermann in February 2021. I ordered it with a Corsair RM750 ATX PSU, but two months later I upgraded that myself to the Corsair RM850x.

I've had ZERO issues with anything, but two weeks ago, while I was doing some web browsing, not in a game, no games or other high demand apps open in the background, I saw two red lights (not three) flashing on the GPU. I shut down the system and after restart the lights did not flash anymore.

This morning I turned on the PC, I was again just on Gmail or something like that, and two (not three) red lights started flashing. Again, after shut down, power off from the back, and restart they went away. They did NOT go away at first when I merely shut down but left the power on at the back. They kept flashing even after shut down.

What could be causing this? I am aware of the thread here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-check-if-a-psu-is-failing.2837906/ I have watched the video from 25:40 explaining this, although showing three lights flashing:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1milKOPa9zA&t=1550s

I am asking because:

1. My PSU seems to be of sufficient power for this GPU, has always been sufficient while gaming in the past.
  2. The lights appear while I am doing something very low demand, I would think.
  3. The whole system, and the PSU as well, is relatively new (barely 1 year +) and I don't really use it intensively (full time job, other hobbies).

Could this be some other GPU error? Is there something I can monitor via CPUID HWMonitor to see what limits I am reaching? Thank you!

The flashing lights mean at one point there was a power issue. While it recommends a 850W psu the high end RTX cards have power spikes and its recommend to go with a 1000W unit.

My 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra recommends a 650W PSU, while i was running a EVGA 750W G2 PSU i would get random reboots or a screen would black out for a second and come back. I had an older EVGA 1600w G2 from another build that i swapped out and haven't had issues since.

What this @ the 11:50 mark, Jay starts talking about the massive power draws of the 3000 series cards and the recommended over sizing of the PSU