[SOLVED] Asus ROG Strix X470 won't boot in Dual channel RAM

Apr 2, 2019
Hi all,

Last week I upgraded my old AS-Rock B450 motherboard for a nice new Asus ROG Strix X470. Unfortunately I have had nothing but problems with it.

I started off putting in my G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 16GB (8GBx2) 4000MHz (Part number: F4-4000C18D-16GTZSW). I put the memory in B2 + A2 and powered on, only to get the orange LED denoting a RAM issue. I tried B1+A1, the same. I tried B1+B2, orange LED. Then I tried just one DIMM in B1, same. Lastly 1 DIMM in B2, same.

Next I put in a brand new Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 memory kit. B2+A2, orange LED. B1+A1, orange LED, B1 = orange LED, B2 = orange LED, A1 = system booted! So it seemed like I was getting somewhere. Then I tried A1+A2 and the system booted with 32 GB. The only problem was in any combination, the memory only seems to be single channel, and the best I could get was 1462 Mhz.

Now neither of the kits I am using were on the Qualified Vendor List, so I went and invested in another kit, G.Skill Memory D4 3600 16GB C18 TZ RGB K2-16 GB - 3,600 MHz, Part Number F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX. I bought this memory specifically because it was on the tested 3600 Mhz QVL list. By now you guessed it, B2 + A2, no. B1+A1, no, B1+B2, no. A1+A2, yes in single chanel mode.

I updated the firmware from 4804 to 5007 and repeated all the combinations, and it still comes down to the memory will only work in A1+A2 in single channel mode.

It sounds to me like an RMA on the motherboard, but does anyone have any suggestions before I do?

Thanks in advance, Phil

Solution
Check CPU socket for bent pins is one other port of call.
And Reset CMOS just to ensure any settings are cleared.
After that I'd simply be checking each of the RAM slots for any contamination or damage.
Then I'd be RMAing the board if it is new.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Check CPU socket for bent pins is one other port of call.
And Reset CMOS just to ensure any settings are cleared.
After that I'd simply be checking each of the RAM slots for any contamination or damage.
Then I'd be RMAing the board if it is new.

Reactions: thebrumby
Solution
Apr 2, 2019
Yes board and processor both new, Amazingly, I'd got the tiniest fleck of thermal paste between two pins. I managed to clean it gently with a toothbrush and now all is working! Thanks for putting me on the right track.

Reactions: PC Tailor