Question ASUS ROG STRIX Z390 GAMING E Bios clock issue! Need fix!

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
Hi. I had this for quite awhile and it isn't a year old. I seem to always turn off my power supply when I am not using it because I get out of the house a lot and skateboard. Main problem is the fact that bios clock seems to be reset and it shows 00:03 and the date is normal. Windows 10 date is normal too including the time. Makes me wonder if there is a motherboard faulty going on or what? I don't know what to do. I am also using a Energizer battery too. I had it replaced like a month ago. Original battery died. I did a reset cmos long time ago. I don't know why it keeps resetting randomly but not frequently. I usually check bios from time to time to make sure it works fine. I have no clue what causes it. Which it rarely does but now it does. I wonder if I did something to the motherboard? Advice? I may have to RMA it.

It usually never does reset often if I shut the PC down and turn the power supply off. Now I notice it just reset the clocks and I wonder what is the cause?

4745454b

Titan
If you just turn it off and leave the PSU alone does it still happen. It shouldn't happen at all and I wonder why it's only the time and not the date as well. Perhaps a bios update will fix it? I also wonder why you bother to turn off the PSU at all. I'm a person who leaves their PC on 24/7 and only turn it off when I'm going away for a long time. I leave it on when I go to work. 10hrs away isn't a long time in my world. When I went on vacation for 7 days I turned it off. You should be fine just leaving it on while going out for a ride.

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
If you just turn it off and leave the PSU alone does it still happen. It shouldn't happen at all and I wonder why it's only the time and not the date as well. Perhaps a bios update will fix it? I also wonder why you bother to turn off the PSU at all. I'm a person who leaves their PC on 24/7 and only turn it off when I'm going away for a long time. I leave it on when I go to work. 10hrs away isn't a long time in my world. When I went on vacation for 7 days I turned it off. You should be fine just leaving it on while going out for a ride.

Here's the thing why would I waste time leave the computer on 24/7? That's a waste of energy when I can easily shut off the power supply unless you're implying I should just leave the PSU idle without shutting it off or just the Desktop on 24/7 instead? I can't do that. It's called bills. Now if you were to insist that I leave the PSU idle then why would I? What if my cats come around and starts hitting the PC or something? Not like I can always shut the door? I think it would be a waste of power to leave my power supply on idle? I mean you're still holding a charge from the surge protector. So what is the point? I already had a bios update. It shouldn't do this at all. It was fixed somehow last night and today it's a military hour showing up and not my regular time again. Except the date is right. Even on my Windows 10. What really causes this or is this normal? I think I remember ASUS tech support says it's normal for it to be like that and switch to regular time but I have been told on reddit that ASUS tech support sucks sometimes unless I am getting the wrong information. Like help me here man. What causes this? STATIC electricity in my house or do I really need to RMA my motherboard? I am getting tired of seeing my clocks like that and it needs to be regular time instead of annoying military hour. I am just baffled. I may need to move somewhere else. Maybe the house sucks or something but I guess I intend to worry too much but it just doesn't make sense why bios clock shows like that. I have seen Jay2Cent show his bios in his vlog and it shows regular clocks? Doesn't make any damn sense. Makes me wonder if I need to reformat? Perhaps I caught a motherboard virus or something is triggering it? I have consideration to rebuild again. Perhaps something is a faulty. I just really cannot pinpoint why it does that. I am sick of seeing how everyone has such a good PC and I have this issue. I miss my old computer. I never once had bios problems like this or whatever. Meh. I'll see what I can do. I may have to contact ASUS tech support.

4745454b

Titan
Wow. Dude, relax. I get your annoyed. It's ok. We'll get through this.

With modern machines when you leave them at idle they downclock and don't really use much power. Most systems can idle sub 50W. When I leave for work I just stood up and turned the monitor off. The PC draws around the same power as a light bulb. Yes, it's adding to your electric bill. But for the most part it's not that much. For me. For you it might be too much. It's your call. I was just wondering why you felt the need.

I was wondering why you turn the PSU off. From your original post (OP) it sounds like you turn off the PSU after you turn off the PC. Just flip the switch or pull the plug as well? I didn't see in your reply what happens if you just power down and leave the PSU switched on and plugged in. Does it still lose the time?

In your reply I see you are mad about the layout of the time? Changing from 12 to 24hr time? To me it sounds like your board/battery isn't keeping the settings like it should. Is this a problem? For me not at all because I don't really power my machine down. For you it seems to be a super annoying thing that is driving you crazy. You said you tried a bios update and a new battery. Real new battery? Or one you had laying around? What board is it? Can you RMA it? Honestly I'd try leaving the PSU plugged in and switched on while the PC is off to see if that "fixes" it. I know it shouldn't do this at all. But perhaps you can live with that.