[SOLVED] Asus ROG Z690 Hero Boot issues

alexander65536

Prominent
Feb 22, 2022
Hi All, I recently bought the above MB and built my computer with the following components:
CPU - Intel 12900K
MB - Asus Z690 Hero
RAM - 4 sticks of GSkill F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
GPU - ROG 3080 ti

So my setup has 3 monitors. Two things happen consistently when I try to boot after a long time, in sequence.

First, it doesn't boot. the qcode displays following code in loop 00-7f-31-18-00.

I found somewhere the solution to this is to reset the cmos, which i do, then it gets stuck on a different q code 99. to which I have to remove all the displays and keep just one and then it boots ok with an error splash by amibios asking me to "enter setup to recover BIOS settings".

I press F1 to enter BIOS. I don't know if i have to change anything here but I don't and just boot from there. And once it goes in windows, everything works fine and dandy.

Even restarts works fine. Until I go to sleep and try again and then the cycle repeats.

So, I started looking around I found that one issue is my particular RAM model is not listed in the supported memories section of my methorboard, so i think this started when I tried to enable xmp on my first boot. But I have disabled it since then. And like i said, everything works just fine once I am in windows.

This is becoming really annoying. Can anyone help me with this ?

Solution
Same thing happened to me. Trust me only one tweak will solve this problem. ADJUST THE DRAM VOLTAGE.
Your sample of one isn't compelling evidence. DRAM and board manufacturers do EXTENSIVE testing of memory kits to ensure that they will work AS INTENDED at the JEDEC or XMP values they are given. The DRAM voltage, for the kit, as intended, is likely NOT the problem.

What the problem MIGHT be is the fact that they have TWO separate kits in use. It doesn't matter that they are the same model of kit, they were not tested together for compatibility like they would have been if you had purchased ONE kit that came with four DIMMs, for one thing, and for another, a lot of kits that will run at the XMP configuration individually WILL...
First of all, that memory IS compatible with your motherboard. The motherboard QVL list is only a limited selection of what is validated for that board. The memory manufacturer's list is far more accurate and extensive.

I'd start by making sure you have the MOST recent stable motherboard BIOS version installed.

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-hero-model/helpdesk_bios

Also, what is the EXACT model of your power supply?

alexander65536

Prominent
Feb 22, 2022
So my bios wasn't the latest version, so I tried to update it. It did successfully according to the splash screen but now when it tries to boot, it's stuck on q code 98. Wtf !

My psu is Thor 1200W

Feb 1, 2022
Hi All, I recently bought the above MB and built my computer with the following components:
CPU - Intel 12900K
MB - Asus Z690 Hero
RAM - 4 sticks of GSkill F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
GPU - ROG 3080 ti

So my setup has 3 monitors. Two things happen consistently when I try to boot after a long time, in sequence.

First, it doesn't boot. the qcode displays following code in loop 00-7f-31-18-00.

I found somewhere the solution to this is to reset the cmos, which i do, then it gets stuck on a different q code 99. to which I have to remove all the displays and keep just one and then it boots ok with an error splash by amibios asking me to "enter setup to recover BIOS settings".

I press F1 to enter BIOS. I don't know if i have to change anything here but I don't and just boot from there. And once it goes in windows, everything works fine and dandy.

Even restarts works fine. Until I go to sleep and try again and then the cycle repeats.

So, I started looking around I found that one issue is my particular RAM model is not listed in the supported memories section of my methorboard, so i think this started when I tried to enable xmp on my first boot. But I have disabled it since then. And like i said, everything works just fine once I am in windows.

This is becoming really annoying. Can anyone help me with this ?
Same thing happened to me. Trust me only one tweak will solve this problem. ADJUST THE DRAM VOLTAGE. Reply me if you not yet solve this problem. I will guide you step by step and details.

Same thing happened to me. Trust me only one tweak will solve this problem. ADJUST THE DRAM VOLTAGE.
Your sample of one isn't compelling evidence. DRAM and board manufacturers do EXTENSIVE testing of memory kits to ensure that they will work AS INTENDED at the JEDEC or XMP values they are given. The DRAM voltage, for the kit, as intended, is likely NOT the problem.

What the problem MIGHT be is the fact that they have TWO separate kits in use. It doesn't matter that they are the same model of kit, they were not tested together for compatibility like they would have been if you had purchased ONE kit that came with four DIMMs, for one thing, and for another, a lot of kits that will run at the XMP configuration individually WILL as Sam said need a bit more voltage when using four DIMMs. Especially if it's an AMD platform but also with Intel. Additionally, it is sometimes necessary when using four DIMMs on Intel platforms to give the CPU a small overclock to bolster the memory controller a bit.

Reading this might be helpful.

Solution

alexander65536

Prominent
Feb 22, 2022

What the problem MIGHT be is the fact that they have TWO separate kits in use. It doesn't matter that they are the same model of kit, they were not tested together for compatibility like they would have been if you had purchased ONE kit that came with four DIMMs, for one thing, and for another, a lot of kits that will run at the XMP configuration individually WILL as Sam said need a bit more voltage when using four DIMMs. Especially if it's an AMD platform but also with Intel. Additionally, it is sometimes necessary when using four DIMMs on Intel platforms to give the CPU a small overclock to bolster the memory controller a bit.

Reading this might be helpful.

Hey sorry about the delayed response, been a busy week. So the current status is, I removed one pair of ram sticks and it works on the rest 32 gigs. Even lets me choose xmp and everything. After that I can do whatever I want. Runs just fine. Until I switch off and then when I boot it's back to q code 99. The only way out of that is to reset CMOS which disables xmp again and all that. This is getting so annoying.

I still haven't gotten through your article but I will over the weekend. Seems like that may help me leverage all 4 sticks of ram. But at least I would like to have a stable predictable system with 32 gigs.

Many threads with people suffering from code 99, seem to suggest mb is damaged which I don't think is true cuz I have played on it. It works just fine and gives me the performance I expect. Something happens when I power down though.

Can you think of anything ?

Try a single DIMM, in the A2 slot, and see if you still have the same issue. If not, try each stick in that slot to see if any particular stick still causes the problem. If none of them cause the problem, then probably not a memory issue. Make sure you are using a pair of DIMMs that actually came together if possible. Pretty easy when all four are the same to accidentally use two together that came in separate kits. Also, when using two DIMMs, make sure you are installing them in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth DIMM slots away from the CPU socket.

How old is that Thor PSU?

alexander65536

Prominent
Feb 22, 2022
Try a single DIMM, in the A2 slot, and see if you still have the same issue. If not, try each stick in that slot to see if any particular stick still causes the problem. If none of them cause the problem, then probably not a memory issue. Make sure you are using a pair of DIMMs that actually came together if possible. Pretty easy when all four are the same to accidentally use two together that came in separate kits. Also, when using two DIMMs, make sure you are installing them in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth DIMM slots away from the CPU socket.

How old is that Thor PSU?
Hey so I did as you said, I tried one DIMM one by one in the A2 slot and what do you know, they booted right away, no issues at all. I finally added a pair in the A2B2 slot and ran a memtest86 and it no errors.
My PSU is brand new.

And when you restarted were there problems or it was fine? You might want to make sure that in the memory section of your BIOS you have XMP enabled, that it boots ok, and then enable in the memory section fast boot so that it doesn't try to re-train the memory every time it boots.

When you tested with Memtest was XMP enabled or was the memory at it's default value of 2133mhz?

alexander65536

Prominent
Feb 22, 2022
And when you restarted were there problems or it was fine? You might want to make sure that in the memory section of your BIOS you have XMP enabled, that it boots ok, and then enable in the memory section fast boot so that it doesn't try to re-train the memory every time it boots.

When you tested with Memtest was XMP enabled or was the memory at it's default value of 2133mhz?
So yesterday when I was testing stick by stick and was restarting everything was working as expected. Then I put a pair in, and did the memtest at normal not xmp configuration which 2400 mhz I think, since these are ddr5 rams. After memtest I did enable xmp. And restarted a couple of times. It did work. But my issue usually is that it restarts now, but doesn't restart 10 hrs from now. But I just checked this morning,it was able to start with no issues with the two sticks. I am scared this is a transient fix but not sure.

Don't know what fast boot is ? I can look into enabling that.

I also looked into your guide and got stuck in the first part which was cpu overclocking. Instead of trying the manual way, I tried to see what asus's ai oc is like. It boots fine with that. But when I tried stress testing with Intel's Xtreme utility thing, it started thermal throttling so I reversed it.

So two questions I have right now, is what this my current PC behavior mean ? Do I have a stable system for the two sticks of ram ?

And 2, will I be able to use it the other two sticks ? I am guessing I will have to follow your guide and increase the dram voltage and see.

What are your thoughts on this ?

alexander65536

Prominent
Feb 22, 2022
So, the first question is answered. I started the system this evening and it again started giving me the q code 99. Nothing changed except I powered it off and powered it back on. Btw when I say power off, I mean turning off the psu as well. Don't know if that matters.

Yeah, so, unless you HAVE to flip the switch on the power supply such as when you are working inside the case or if there is a problem and it won't simply shut off normally, it's generally not recommended to turn off the PSU switch when you shut down.

To be honest, right now I think I'd pull the CPU cooler and CPU and check the motherboard for any bent pins. Even one bent pin can affect many things, including memory operations and can certainly be the cause of a repeat error code. If there are no bent pins, great, at least you'll have eliminated that as a possibility and won't have to worry about chasing ghosts and then later find out that's what the problem was. And we see this happen a lot.

Jun 5, 2022
@alexander65536 Did you find a solution to this?
I've the same exact issues you do ( 00-7f-31-18-00. and Qcode 99). I haven't seen the first one in a while, but the Q 99 happens on every first boot of the day. I turn off the PC and cut the power to it, long press the power button to flush it out and then give it power and turn on. This works every time. But it's getting on my nerves to do that every day.

I've the same specs (including the PSU) as yours except for
RAM: Corsair Dominator 5200MHz 4 x 16GB
GPU: ASUS 3090 OC.

alexander65536

Prominent
Feb 22, 2022
@alexander65536 Did you find a solution to this?
I've the same exact issues you do ( 00-7f-31-18-00. and Qcode 99). I haven't seen the first one in a while, but the Q 99 happens on every first boot of the day. I turn off the PC and cut the power to it, long press the power button to flush it out and then give it power and turn on. This works every time. But it's getting on my nerves to do that every day.

I've the same specs (including the PSU) as yours except for
RAM: Corsair Dominator 5200MHz 4 x 16GB
GPU: ASUS 3090 OC.
I had to return two sticks. The solutions suggested to me about overclocking may have worked but I didn't feel comfortable also didn't get the time to try them on my own and didn't want the added headache of taking care of a kinda unstable system, so I stuck just 2 sticks of 16gigs. Now I can enable the xmp and everything. Second mistake that I made was I would turn off the power to psu when I shut off, so when I turned the PC again, I would go through the whole shebang again. Instead now, I only turn the PSU off if I am going off on a vacation for multiple days or something. When I come back I have to reset everything but it's not as painful as doing it every time. Also if you have multiple screens attached like I have and keyboard and mouse you share with your laptop, after starting PSU after a long time, remember to connect only one monitor and also connect the mouse and keyboard everytime before a restart else you will Q99 again

Glad you took my advice about not shutting off the PSU each time to heart, however, there is absolutely no need to turn off the PSU when you leave on vacation or are going to be gone a few days either. This does nothing for you. It won't protect your system from a surge or lightning strike, because as long as it it literally connected to the outlet, it is still vulnerable, unless you ALSO unplug the cable. And aside from that, there is literally no other reason to want or need to turn the switch off. If the the system is shut down, not sleeping or hibernating, it is already as "off" as it's going to get so long as you have hibernation disabled which I always recommend doing because hibernation and hybrid sleep have never worked properly since the Windows 8.1 days.

So, either just shut down and leave it if you're not going to be using it for a few days, or if you REALLY feel the need to completely remove power from the system for protection reasons, also pull the cable from the PSU or the wall until you get back. Just flipping the switch off really is just a halfway measure. It doesn't protect your system and it doesn't "turn off" the system anymore than just shutting down would do anyhow. Plus, unnecessarily actuating the switch on the PSU could in fact result in damaging the PSU if it happens too frequently and the switch gets worn out. If only periodically, not a concern.

And what, exactly, do you have to "reset", each time you turn the PSU back on? Aside from retraining the memory, which you would NOT have to do if you set the "fast boot" setting in the advanced memory settings of the BIOS so that it doesn't do memory training every time after a power loss, there shouldn't be anything else you have to "reset". If you do, something is wrong.

Jun 5, 2022
@alexander65536 Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do have two monitors connected and a work laptop that use the same. I generally turn off everything (after turning off the PC) using a KASA switch connected to my google home.
After reading through @Darkbreeze 's comment, I'll skip from turning off the power to the PSU.
Hopefully I wouldn't have to deal with the Q99 everyday.

TRENDING THREADS